xdi message

Subject: Minutes: XDI TC Telecon Thursday 1-2PM PT 2010-06-03

XDI TC Informal Telecon Notes - June 3 2010

ATTENDING

Bill Barnhill

John Bradley

Joseph Boyle

Giovanni Bartolomeo

Joe Johnston

Drummond Reed

Markus Sabadello

(The following notes are an edited version of the IdearPad transcript that Bill Barnhill sent to the list.)

1) INTRODUCTIONS

We introduced two new TC members: Joseph Boyle (who will go by "Joseph") and Joe Johnston (who will go by "Joe").

2) IIW AND PDX UPDATE

XDI TC members who attended Internet Identity Workshop two weeks ago gave an update on the XDI-related activity there, in particular in the increasing interest in PDX (personal data exchange) using XDI. There was one session held on the XDI graph model but it was at the very end so a number of people (including Drummond and Joseph) were not able to attend.

3) XDI AND RDF

We discussed the importance of accurately describing relationship between the two, especially considering the upcoming W3C Workshop on RDF 2.0:

  http://www.w3.org/2009/12/rdf-ws/

Bill characterized it that XDI was a superset of RDF. Drummond believes that is accurate, and that a lossless mapping of RDF into XDI and back can be specified. However the reverse is not true, i.e., there are statements in XDI that cannot (at present) be mapped into RDF.

3) PDX EXAMPLE DOCUMENT

Due to the limited time on the call, we did not go through the example PDX document posted on the TC wiki:

  http://wiki.oasis-open.org/xdi/PdxExample

However Giovanni said that it would be a high priority to go through this document and discuss the patterns and issues. He listed the following issues as a starting point (while pointing out there are more):

-$is

-relationship btw PDX and FOAF

-associativity

-"complex predicate"

-usage of "relative" ref e.g. (/+postal+address)

-"how much" goes in the subject and "how much" in the predicate...

-$ as a suffix

We agreed to commence this discussion in email on an issue-by-issue basis to advance each question as far as we can before the next call.

4) OTHER EXAMPLE PDX SCENARIOS

Joe Johnston would like to see us document other example PDX scenarios involving different common social networking functions. This would demonstrate the value of XDI to developers new to XDI concepts by using scenarios that are easy for them to understand. Examples include:

- Social adddress book

- Photo sharing

- Friending

- Chatting

- Event sharing

- Calendaring

- Wiki

Joe also thought a contrast between FOAF and PDX vocabularies would be useful.

Drummond suggested doing this on the XDI TC wiki.

# DRUMMOND to create a page and send Joe a link

5) LINK CONTRACTS

Markus poised the following special questions related to link contracts (but not the link contract format itself):

- If link contracts are enabled at an XDI endpoint and no link contracts exists, what is the "default" behavior? Allow nothing? Allow only $get?

- Can an XDI endpoint have a special notion of the XDI endpoint "belonging" to a user?

- Is yes, does that user automatically have "full rights" to the XDI endpoint outside of normal link contract evaluation?

- As an alternative to signing XDI messages with a key, can an XDI message contain a user's password for authentication?

We did not have time to consider these on the call, so we will tackle them in email.

In addition, Bill poised the question: Rather than say will XDI use auth mechanism A or B, what are people's thoughts on considering a broader mechanism support so that implementors can decide? I'm specifically thinking of support for using SASL mechanisms (see links below):

6) X3J (X3 FOR JSON) SERIALIZATION FORMAT PROGRESS

Since the XDI Serialization Spec is so important for implementations, we checked on progress and next steps. Bill reported that he is working on it, with release deferred right now until he moves, which is in late July or early August.

7) WORKING DRAFTS

Drummond opined that due to the increasing visibility of XDI through PDX, it was time for the TC to move from the wiki to formal OASIS  Working Draft specifications. Bill agreed. Drummond said he may have some time in July to convert the current wiki specs to OASIS Working Draft formats (but no promises yet). It was agreed that the Addressing and Graph Model spec and the Serialization spec should be the first two Working Drafts.

We discussed the possible source document formats XML is preferred.

# DRUMMOND to check with Will Norris of the XRI TC for his guidance on OASIS XML source formats.

8) NEW BUSINESS

Bill proposed two additional topics for the email list:

9) NEXT CALL

The next call will be next week at the regular time. We will use the normal dial-in bridge number and an IdearPad to keep live notes.