xdi message

Subject: [light discussion] "Semantic Aware Identifiers"

Dear Colleagues,

some days ago I was talking with some colleagues trying to explain
what XDI is for and how XRI relates to XDI. I came to say that XRIs
are a new class of identifiers, which, unlike URIs, are "semantic
aware". The expression

    *semantic* *aware* *identifiers*

seemed to me to well describe XRIs, especially when used inside XDI
documents. If you like, I think that we could use this expression to
describe our work... and to label the whole wide area of
investigations that could - hopefully - be created consequently.

What do you think?

Kind Regards,
Giovanni

PS: for those who want to read a bit more... some thoughts during
these days led me to formulate this rough timeline: (do you have any
other reference you think could be useful to report?)

June 1994 At CERN, Sir Berners-Lee defines the Universal Resource
Identifiers [RFC1630]. URIs are opaque to clients: the Web is designed
so that agents communicate resource information state through
representations, not identifiers. HTTP clients cannot determine the
type of a resource representation by inspecting a URI for that resource.

May 2007 J. Rosenberg defines an algorithm for constructing a URI that
can be used to reference pieces of information that contained in XML
documents distributed over the Web [RFC4825]. The perspective is now
reversed: XCAP clients are aware of the meaning contained in the XCAP
identifiers they use, but servers are (almost) not needed to
understand them.

September 2010 At OASIS, *semantic* *aware* *identifiers* are
introduced. They are built in a way so that they could be used to
address concepts, individuals, roles and any possible way they could
be legitimately combined within a description logic. Clients
explicitly understand the semantics behind identifiers and perform
reasoning on them. Two biggest problems of modern Internet - data
mining and data interoperability - are natively solved by this
approach... :-)

Invito da parte dell'Ateneo:
Il tuo futuro e quello della Ricerca Scientifica hanno bisogno del
tuo aiuto. Dona il  5 x mille all'Universita' di Roma Tor Vergata
codice fiscale: 80213750583 http://5x1000.uniroma2.it