xdi message

Subject: Re: [xdi] RE: [External] [xdi] Minutes: XDI TC Telecon Friday 2012-06-15

Bill

I started the meeting. I'd like to vote on the HTTP Binding this week. Drummond has already indicated that he wants us to work this out, and he can approve subsequently, and we have a proposal in front of us that we are ready to discuss. Also, there is plenty to discuss.

thx,

Mike

On Fri, 22 Jun 2012, Barnhill, William [USA] wrote:

Drummond is not able to attend this call and I do not have an agenda prepared.  Suggest we scratch this week's call and meet again next week.

Kind regards,

Bill Barnhill
Booz Allen Hamilton - Belcamp,MD
1-443-924-0824| barnhill_william@bah.com<mailto:barnhill_william@bah.com>

From: xdi@lists.oasis-open.org [mailto:xdi@lists.oasis-open.org] On Behalf Of Drummond Reed
Sent: Friday, June 15, 2012 2:09 PM
To: OASIS - XDI TC

Following are the minutes of the unofficial telecon of the XDI TC at:

Date:  Friday, 15 June 2012 USA
Time:  9:00AM - 10:30AM Pacific Time (16:00-17:30 UTC)

THE ETHERPAD LINK FOR TODAY IS:
    http://piratepad.ca/7oNVpyaRJ5

***** PRESENTATIONS *****

--- ALICE AND BOB INTRODUCE XDI SLIDES

Drummond gave a new presentation he has developed that shows most of the core constructs of the XDI graph model in a very simple Alice and Bob scenario.

***** NEWS & UPDATES *****

--- DRUMMOND LONDON TRIP REPORT

On Monday Drummond gave the Alice and Bob presentation on XDI at the Identity Day Forum at London's Innovation Warehouse.

Yesterday Drummond co-lead the Tech track at the World Economic Forum Rethinking Personal Data Tiger Team meeting in London. The focus of the discussion was PDRL (Personal Data Rights Language). The conclusion of the group was that PDRL should be implemented as an XDI dictionary of terms that are used for link contracts governing the exchange of personal data. This takes advantage of three key features of XDI:
*         Link contracts - the binding of data to permissions
*         Contexts -- PDRL needs to be able to describe permissions that are context-specific
*         Extensibility -- Data types that can be covered by PDRL can be easily extended

--- ODATA

Giovanni and Mike brought up the new OASIS OData TC. Mike has joined it.

Mike compared OData to a subset of XDI where it is just focused on standardizing REST architecture for data exchange.

Giovanni said he had a concern about OASIS having two Technical Committees that are covering closely related areas. This could be confusing to developers, and to OASIS members.

A second concern is naming - in Giovanni's brief review of the OData spec, relative names are used for properties instead of URIs, so there can be naming conflicts, which has been addressed in XDI. - He has specifically addressed this topic in a poster presented at ESWC 2011 (https://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/41948/bartolomeo-Named%20Graphs,%20Named%20Nodes,%20Named%20Links%20%28camera%20ready%29.pdf).

So Giovanni thinks we have an opportunity to establish a liaison between the two TCs. He believes we should go for a true integration, not just members joining each TC.

***** DECISION POINT QUEUE REVIEW *****

--- PROCESS DISCUSSION

We still need to complete the prioritization of proposals on the wiki. Drummond has added a page to track issues that do not have full proposal pages yet:

 https://wiki.oasis-open.org/xdi/XdiPendingIssues

We agreed that we need to categorize proposals by spec in order to help determine priority. The category names will be:
*         CategoryProposalGraphModel
*         CategoryProposalSerialization
*         CategoryProposalMessaging
*         CategoryProposalDictionary
*         CategoryProposalDiscovery
*         CategoryProposalLinkContracts
*         CategoryProposalQueries

# DRUMMOND, MIKE to reorganize proposal pages to put them in these categoreis and clean up the home page to just have links to the categories.

--- PRIORITIZATION

Mike proposed that the TC group the latest proposals, and  move them to the top of the list. His proposed prioritization is: (1) Graph Model; (2) Serialization (JSON)  (3) Messaging (API); (4) Link Contracts (5) Discovery (6) Query (7) Dictionary

--- XDI GRAPH MODEL

Mike suggested and Drummond agreed we should extract any formal sections of The XDI Graph Model document and turn them into proposals. This would include the ABNF and the notation format.

--- SERIALIZATION

We agreed that the issues regarding serialization and data encoding must be prioritized.

# MIKE to publish a proposal on use of the data URI format to specify literal type.

--- XDI MESSAGING

Drummond poiinted out that multiplicity is a question that needs to be addressed for XDI messaging.

***** DECISION POINT FOR THIS CALL *****

We decided not to try to make a specific decision on this call. Instead we spent the time going over and categorizing the current proposals and pending issues, and discussing how best to proceed. The key points:
*         We should prepare and send email about proposal pages well in advance of each call.
*         TC members should review them in advance of the call so that the call can focus just on the technical questions, merits, tradeoffs, etc. necessary to reach a decison.

***** NEXT CALL *****

The next call is next week at the regular time. Drummond will not be able to attend as he will be flying home from London that day.