Subject: RE: [xliff-comment] Demo of application using XLIFF

Hi Doug,

This work is very interesting and congratulations on doing it. However, as
Tony has pointed out before you should join the XLIFF TC. You obviously have
an important contribution to make and the TC is the place where the
discussion happens on how XLIFF should develop.

While there may be other reasons why you do not want to join the TC, I think
we would welcome and benefit from your contribution.

Thanks,

Peter.

-----Original Message-----
From: Doug [mailto:doug@ektron.com]
Sent: 15 November 2002 17:30
To: XLIFF
Subject: [xliff-comment] Demo of application using XLIFF

The XLIFF application I have been working on is finished enough for a
demonstration. The entire application uses XLIFF files to send to a
translator and to store translated strings returned from the translator.
When the project is built, the XLIFF documents are used (with XSLT) to
produce JavaScript files, XML files (proprietary schema) and XHTML files.
The XHTML files also have skeleton files as mentioned in the XLIFF
specification, but I have not finished that part of the application.

The online demo can be used to edit one of the XLIFF documents used to
produce a JavaScript file. Some of the strings in the JavaScript contain
HTML tags. The tags are hyperlinks, but because I wanted to hide the URL and
other attributes, the hyperlink is converted to a placeholder in the XLIFF
document. When edited, the placeholder appears as a hyperlink, but this is
only for the convenience of the translator.

The editor is Ektron's eWebEditPro+XML. The editor can be used by a
translator to translate the text. It can also be used to create the skeleton
XHTML document (but I don't have a demo yet).

Comments are welcome.

Here is a picture of the editor in a web page:

http://www.ektron.com/xliff/editxliffsample.gif

To try the editor online, visit:

http://www.ektron.com/xliff/editxliff.asp?name=samplefr

The editor is an ActiveX control that will prompt to be downloaded. MS
Windows is required.

Regards,

Doug D

Ektron, Inc.