Subject: Re: [xliff-comment] Storing plural forms with XLIFF

Hi Yves.
Thank you for your response. Yes, I can see that they use the group method.
Does anybody know the rationale for them using a <group
restype="x-gettext-plurals"> and not <alt-trans> units?

With the alt-trans representation, the translation block will be smaller
(does not require the redundant <source> element), does not require the
custom restype="x-gettext-plurals" and might(?) be handled more
gracefully for editors that does not support plurals.

(An editor that supports import of groups might not understand the
"x-gettext-plurals" restype and just interpret it as a normal group,
thus it might display a group with three trans-units, all having the
same source text. What you really want is to display the source text
once, and then all translated plural forms.)

On the other hand, I am not sure what the normal use case for alt-trans
is, so I might be in a dead end here.

regards,
Jan-Arve