Subject: RE: [xliff-inline] Inline spans

> Sorry to answer too late. But here are my thoughts.
> I am working up some actual examples and XSLTs to
> illustrate my opinions, but I'm not quite done with
> them yet. I'll send them shortly (or not at all if it is a moot point)

It's not a moot point.

We talked about the topic at the call and Andrew pointed out he was preferring the solution A (splitting the spans and reconstructing them)

I'm still thinking splitting/rejoining spans is going to take a lot of effort.

One of the arguments in favor of using span notation is "It's better XML". But I think it's a misleading argument: avoiding start/end markers because the XML handles span better is wrong. The real issue is that our requirement is to allow overlapping spans and XML cannot do that. XML is the problem here :)

-ys