Subject: Req 1.15 Representation of invalid XML characters

Hi all,

I was implementing the <cp> element in our experimental XLIFF 2.0 library and I have a question:

We've discussed the representation of invalid XML characters in the text content so far.
But what about the original data?

--a) We could have invalid characters inside a <sc> element for example if the special characters are part of the original data that is abstracted as inline code.

--b) We could have invalid characters inside also in the <data> element used to store outside the content.

Should we force the original data to be coded with <cp> as well? Or should that be the responsibility of the tool? Note that often such content is not used for interoperable operations.

Any thoughts?
-yves