Subject: Fwd: [xliff-inline] XLIFF Inline Markup Subcommittee Teleconference - Nov-13-2012 - Summary

All, forwarding the discussion that happened at the conclusion of the
Inline SC to the main mailing list, as it is otherwise not
referencable.
The discussion contains arguments relevant for resolving the pending
Inline issues:
1) Extensibility of markers, and
2) Re-segmentation behavior

Rgds
dF

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Dr. David Filip <David.Filip@ul.ie>
Date: Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 9:44 PM
Subject: Re: [xliff-inline] XLIFF Inline Markup Subcommittee
Teleconference - Nov-13-2012 - Summary
To: "Estreen, Fredrik" <Fredrik.Estreen@lionbridge.com>
Cc: Yves Savourel <ysavourel@enlaso.com>,
"xliff-inline@lists.oasis-open.org"
<xliff-inline@lists.oasis-open.org>

Fredrik, I think everyone (including myself) agrees that no module or
extension elements must be allowed inline.

I am not proposing anything remotely like that.

If people agree that module attributes are acceptable inline, I think
that also extension attributes should be palatable there.

I am even not vouching for extensible attributes on generic masking
markup like pc.

The general idea of features being able to migrate between extension
<-> module <-> core relies on extensions proving themselves useful and
fit for a specific purpose. So the idea is that its: attributes should
be allowed as extended annotations on mrk to let them live somewhere
until the its module becomes official.
Until they are vetted by w3c and OASIS they must be considered private
extensions and have lesser protection; until they become module, other
annotations can compete for their functionality and it might be good
for the module consideration.
It seems unnatural to me to allow module without the natural
predecessor in an extension.
IMHO ITS is just one example of annotation that might be useful, and
that mrk is a general marker intended for arbitrary annotations and
will lack necessary expressivity if not extendable..

Re your PRs they look good to me. I would just argue that a tool
PROCESSING a module MUST use its processing requirements. Tools
PROCESSING an extension also MUST follow its PR.
If you are not using module/extension PRs, you are not PROCESSING it,
and MUST/SHOULD preserve them without change unless they fall victim
to resegmentation as per the segmentation core PRs.

Cheers
dF

Dr. David Filip
LRC | CNGL | LT-Web | CSIS