xliff-promotion message

Subject: Re: Forming a Working Liaison with ISO TC37/SC5 to push XLIFF 2.0 as ISO standard

Dear Jamie, happy 2013,

I'd like to draw your attention to the forwarded questions below that
I asked back in December.
While Chet confirmed that only final OASIS standard can be submitted
to any external standardization body, the question whether we should
make a PAS or a fast track submission with XLIFF 2.0 is still open.
Would you please advise what is the best course of action sanctioned
by OASIS (more detailed question in the forwarded e-mail below). I
understand that for a fast track submission we would need to form an
A-liaison between XLIFF TC and a ISO TC37 SC, I am not quite sure what
would be the process in case of a PAS submission. Anyway I guess both
ways need to go though OASIS Board, right?

Thanks and regards
dF

Dr. David Filip
=======================
LRC | CNGL | LT-Web | CSIS
University of Limerick, Ireland
telephone: +353-6120-2781
cellphone: +353-86-0222-158
facsimile: +353-6120-2734
mailto: david.filip@ul.ie

On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 4:02 PM, Dr. David Filip <David.Filip@ul.ie> wrote:
> Daer Jamie, Chet,
>
> XLIFF TC is about to produce Committee Draft of XLIFF 2.0 in early 2013. In
> this connection, XLIFF Promotion and Liaison Subcommittee has been
> discussing how to best put XLIFF 2.0 on ISO standardization track.
>
> Peter Reynolds proposed to the SC to make XLIFF TC an A-liaison of TC37/SC5,
> so that it can make a fast track submission. I understand that this would
> mean a submission at the DIS/Enquiry stage.
>
> AFAIK, there is an alternative, i.e. OASIS submitting XLIFF 2.0 as a PAS to
> the appropriate ISO TC/SC.
>
> Now I need to ask you for your opinions, advice, clarifications.
>
> - Are the above outlined tracks real options, or do I miss something?
>
> - Are there any caveats based on your experience connected to either course
> of action?
> Is an A-liaison membership of XLIFF TC in an appropriate ISO TC/SC necessary
> for either of the submission types?
>
> - Do you think that TC37/SC5 is the right venue for socializing XLIFF 2.0
> with ISO?
>
> - Finally my understanding is that (according to both OASIS and ISO
> policies) only final OASIS standards can be submitted either as PAS or fast
> track submissions to ISO. So is it really possible to run the OASIS public
> review and the ISO SC5 DIS review (Enquiry) at the same time?
>
> Based on your opinions re the above questions, what should be our next step
> towards OASIS towards either PAS submission through OASIS or fast track
> submission through XLIFF TC A-liaison membership in a TC or SC, most
> probably TC37/SC5?
>
> Thanks in advance for your answers and consideration
> dF
>
> Dr. David Filip
> LRC | CNGL | LT-Web | CSIS
> University of Limerick, Ireland
> telephone: +353-6120-2781
> cellphone: +353-86-0222-158
> facsimile: +353-6120-2734
> mailto: david.filip@ul.ie

>>> SC5. Myself and Jamie Clarke are the liaisons from OASIS and XLIFF TC to TC