xliff-promotion message

Subject: XLIFF business perspective for LocWorld/ITS joint session

At Tuesday’s call, we discussed the agenda for a joint XLIFF/ITS session at LocWorld. I wanted to contribute some ideas towards the planned talk.

I recently gave an internal presentation at Microsoft on the business opportunities presented by loc interoperability, and believe some of this material may apply in this context too.

·         Use of XLIFF 2.0 facilitates easier tool/technology sharing (counterpoint to the disparity of tool support for XLIFF 1.2)

·         Less reliance on de facto standards produces level playing field for tool providers Making XLIFF more ubiquitous drives business opportunities; examples:

o   SharePoint 2013 exporting data as XLIFF – drives enterprises to use standards; enables loc providers to deliver turnkey solutions

o   Visual Studio add-in (Multilingual App Toolkit) – drives developers to use XLIFF as exchange format for app development

·         As interoperability increases, the loc industry will mature and foster greater innovation and agility, built on top of robust frameworks

·         Interoperability (e.g. with XLIFF) promotes greater competition across loc industry – beneficial for all parties

If these are useful/interesting, I’m happy to work with anyone to expand and develop these points further into a coherent message espousing the impact that XLIFF 2.0 can/will have on the loc industry.

Thanks,

Kevin.