xliff-seg message

Subject: RE: [xliff-seg] Segmentation representation and scenario

Hi Yves,

Thanks for your suggestion! There are definitely quite a few interesting
benefits with this implementation option.
I have a few comments:

1) Logically there is a strong coupling between the source and target
in the <target>). This connection is in my opinion not explicit enough in
your suggested representation, since it cannot be represented in the schema.
At least to my knowledge there is no way to define a schema or DTD to
validate the file to ensure that each segment in the <source> has a
corresponding segment in the <target> and vice versa.

2) There are a number of properties that apply to individual source and
target segment pairs, which cannot easily be represented in a natural way
that shows their connection to the segments.
a) Of the current attributes available for <trans-unit> at least the
following would be useful to have also for segments: approved, translate,
phase-name.
b) Alternative translations, fuzzy matches, etc. as represented by
<alt-trans> for the <trans-unit>. Though would be possible to use
<alt-trans> on the <trans-unit> level to store these matches that would be
misleading, as they don't apply to the entire <trans-unit>. For example an
<alt-trans> can be an exact match for a segment, but it cannot be marked as
an exact match because that would be interpreted as an exact match for the
<trans-unit>.

3) If <g> is used inside the <trans-unit> and spans a segment boundary we
cannot use this implementation, as it would violate XML. Instead we would
need to resort to using empty <mrk/> elements to show the start and end of
the segments, perhaps something like this:

<trans-unit id="9">
first sentence. <mrk mid="9-1" mtype="segment-end"/> <mrk mid="9-2"
mtype="segment-start"/>Second part</g> of the segment. <mrk mid="9-2"
mtype="segment=end"/></source>
</trans-unit>

This works, but it is not pretty. It makes the coupling between segment
markers even looser, both in source and target. With this representation it
is not even possible to use a schema to validate that each segment start has
a corresponding segment end.

The use of <g> will cause problems for segmentation whichever representation
we choose, and it may in fact turn out that this representation is one of
the few that can handle it in some way at all...

Cheers,
Magnus