OASIS Mailing List ArchivesView the OASIS mailing list archive below
or browse/search using MarkMail.


Help: OASIS Mailing Lists Help | MarkMail Help

xliff message

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [Elist Home]

Subject: Re: [xliff] Minutes of the XLIFF TC July 9th. 2002

Hi Peter et al,

I missed the meeting but from the minutes see my action item.
The minutes state that I need to supply more information for 'content-type', however, assuming a typo, I'll make a quick explanation for the 'context-type' attribute of the 'context' element which I requested in XLIFF.
Within IBM, during the localisation of Domino applications, translatable terms may appear in many possible locations and without a definite resourcing strategy. The context element allows us to locate a term to a specific location in a database and therefore provide a different contextual translation to a similar term where needed.
I'm also guessing that the context of the conversation during the last meeting was in relation to open or closed lists, and (if so) I would suggest that this list be left open altogether and remove the existant defaults. The original list was somewhat a compromised catch-all that was agreeable to both me and to the rest of the group, and I think they are probably a little misleading to others on reading the specification. Perhaps a simple example of the usage of <context> would prove more useful.

If I've misunderstood what was needed of me in this mail, please let me know.


P.S. For anyone interested, the <context> element can also be useful when extracting localisable text from property bundle files withing JAR or CAB files to XLIFF i.e. the context being used to identify the bundle file and the resource ID for the translatable term

Peter Reynolds <Peter.Reynolds@Berlitz.ie>

07/26/02 02:37 PM

        To:        xliff@lists.oasis-open.org
        Subject:        [xliff] Minutes of the XLIFF TC July 9th. 2002


Hi all,

Minutes of last Tuesday's meeting is below.
Thanks to Tony for his help with these minutes.


Minutes of the XLIFF TC July 9th. 2002
1/ Attendance:  Tony Jewtushenko, Christian Lieske, Enda McDonnell, John
Reid, Peter Reynolds, Yves Savourel, Gérard Cattin des Bois, David Pooley.
Apologies: Jonathan Clark, John Corrigan, Reinhard Schaler, Mark Levins, Mat
2/ Minutes of the last meeting were agreed as a correct record.
3/ Charter clarification.
The proposed new wording of the charter was agreed by 12 votes for and 2
abstentions. Both abstentions were late votes.
Tony pointed out that Oasis refer to this changing of the wording as
clarification and not changing it.
3/ Migration policy
Tony introduced a discussion on the remaining issues with the migration
We will publish a migration statement as part of the version 1.1 release.
XSLTs will not be part of the 'official' release but may be provided as
Tony will send a revised version of the migration document to the group.
This will go to an email vote for approval.
Tony raised the issue of education and publicity and said he was willing to
draft a presentation on behalf of the TC. Peter and Enda volunteered to
4/  XLIFF 1.1 work in progress:
Formalized Extensibility
Yves presented the proposal on Formal Extensibility.
Christian will send a proposal for dealing with datatype and mimetype.
(general comment): It was agreed that each of the presently open enumerated
lists would be extended and left open.
content-type - assumed to be needed by Mark Levins - the group was not
certain of precisely how the list is used in real life - need input from
Mark (and anyone else who uses this) as to what the list should look like.
ctype, mtype lists : review, comment and add as much to this list as
possible, and leave it open.
state - state names in the spec are not complete, and must be extended, but
must remain open. It was agreed that the list of states would not be
possible to close due to the nature and complexity of a localisation process
in particular and workflow in general. Gerard agreed to submit a "straw man"
list of values, and Christian will investigate if LISA has a subcommittee
that has produced a list.
Embedded XLIFF - deferred until next meeting.
Working Draft - deferred until next meeting.
5/ LISA European Conference: we will try to arrange a limited face-to-face
meeting during our usual timeslot, if enough people attending the LISA
conference would have time to do so. Please inform Tony J. if you have
definite intentions to attend the LISA conference.
6/ Next meeting will be Tuesday, 6 August 2002 at 4PM Europe/London/Dublin /
8AM PST. Tony J. will be absent, and will arrange for Jonathan Clarke to
chair the meeting, or if not available, Peter or Yves.
John Reid made a motion to adjourn the meeting and Enda seconded.

Peter Reynolds, Software Development Manager, Berlitz GlobalNET
3, West Pier Business Campus, Dun Laoghaire, Co. Dublin, Ireland
Tel: +353-1-202-1280
Fax: +353-1- 202-1299
Web Site: http//www.berlitzglobalnet.com
"Don't just translate it, BerlitzIT" http//www.berlitzIT.com

To subscribe or unsubscribe from this elist use the subscription
manager: <http://lists.oasis-open.org/ob/adm.pl>

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [Elist Home]

Powered by eList eXpress LLC