Subject: RE: [xliff] Attribute Values and Extensibility

Hi there,

Of course, Matt is right about the main motivation/use of XUL: rendering
in Mozilla.

Rendering of XLIFF, however, was not in focus of my suggestion related
to the list of XUL elements at http://www.xulplanet.com/references/elemref. I was
simply looking at the list of XUL elements as a possible starting point for the
XLIFF values related to 'restype', since the list of XUL elements seems to be
pretty comprehensive. A good thing about the XUL list from my point of view
was also that it is so easily accessible. Before I stumbled across XUL, I have been
searching for similar lists for Java and other environments but could not find
anything comparable.

Matt's observation that the XUL list does not define all we need for localization
is absolutely right. However, 'restype' is only one part of XLIFF. From my understanding,
other parts of XLIFF will fill in the gaps.

The idea to relate XLIFF information to rendering information (for example
AWT classes) of course is excellent.

Best,
Christian

-----Original Message-----
From: Matthew.Lovatt [mailto:Matthew.Lovatt@oracle.com]
Sent: Mittwoch, 2. Oktober 2002 11:23
To: XLIFF list

I have been having another look at XUL and its applicalbility to XLIFF
attributes.

Two thoughts have come to mind

XUL seems to be defining a standard for rendering within Mozilla

As such, the attributes are good for diplay and rendering data, but will
probaly not be complete for localisation information

The second thought is that if we have a fixed set of attributes that relate
to rendering, these attributes can actually be used for rendering

I am thinking about Java awt/swing

If our xliff rendering related attributes can be mapped to the awt/swing
classes and methods, we can probably implement a simple and standardised
rendering system using awt/swing in any Java based xliff translation tool

Mat