Subject: Re: [xliff] Localization Directives...

Hi Enda,

At Mon, 14 Oct 2002 18:17:56 +0100,
Enda McDonnell wrote:

> In preparation for tomorrow's meeting here is some preliminary work on
> the Localization Directives.
> It looks to me like this is a big area that needs some focussed work
> before we deliver.

I agree. I think we need a separate spec document for the Localization
Directives. We have a simple version of it at GlobalSight. It's a
powerful mechanism. But still we don't deal with namespace very well
and have a hard time to extract XSLT type of document. We need to give
a pretty good thought on this.

> I have discussed some of the findings with Yves already and he feels
> that the solution would best be arrived at using a rule file.

I prefer using rule file rather than putting directives in original
documents. Once you write a rule file for a certain type of document,
you can use it over and over again. The author of the original
documents don't need to know about directives and rule file can work
for any type of XML document.

And XPath is very, very powerful. An exception of accesskey
localization in your example can be solved with the following XPath
expression.

<xlf:path="/menu/menupopup/menuitem[@value!="Redo"]/@accesskey" />

It says, select 'accesskey' attribute in 'menuitem' element whose
'value' attribute's value is not "Redo".

XPath's powerful function minimizes the need for specifying
exceptions. We also could have a way to specify exceptions in rule
file syntax.

Shigemichi Yazawa
yazawa@globalsight.com