Subject: [xliff] Reworded paragraph for multiple attribute values in XLIFF

In response to my action item from the last XLIFF meeting, here is my proposed new version for the paragraphs in the specification pertaining to attribute values and in particular, multiple attribute values:

D.2. Attribute Values
Attribute values are case sensitive. It is strongly recommended that lower-case values are used. The specification recommends a number of values for some attributes, these are all lower-case.

Where multiple attribute values are to be used in an XLIFF document, two approaches are used:
        For enumerated attributes (such as the 'purpose' attribute of <context-group>) the separator must be a space.
        For other textual attributes that are not validated, the specification recommends the use of the semi-colon as a concatenation separator for values, for example, multiple contacts may be listed for a <file> with the attribute-value written thusly: contact-name="Frank Sinatra;Sammy Davis Jnr;Dean Martin".

For reference I have included the current version of this paragraph below:

D.2. Attribute Values
Attribute values are case sensitive. It is strongly recommended that lower-case values are used. The specification recommends a number of values for some attributes, these are all lower-case.

The specification also recommends the use of the semi-colon as a concatenation separator for values. For example, multiple contacts may be listed for a <file> with the attribute-value written thusly: contact-name="Peter;Mark".

Regards,

Mark Levins
IBM Software Group | Dublin Software Laboratory | Airways Industrial Estate | Cloghran | Dublin 17 | Ireland
Phone: +353 1 7046676 | IBM Tie Line 166676