Subject: FW: Request for organising a vote

Hi all,

A poll is being organised on the WikiStandards proposal which I mentioned at both TC meetings. Details of this are below and I would encourage you to support it.

A number of people also expressed interest in the LSGB mailing list which Tex has organised. Please go to the web page below to subscribe.

I hope everyone has a good weekend.

Thanks,

Peter.

From: oscar [mailto:oscar.wiki@gmail.com]
Sent: 13 January 2006 13:37
To: Gerard Meijssen
Cc: Oscar; Sue Ellen Wright; DeCamp, Jennifer A.; Felix Sasaki; Tex Texin; jahanne.m.boucher@aexp.com; alfredo.spagna@fi.arancho.com; suzanne@emultilingual.com; maryse.benhoff@bgcommunications.ca; Alan K Melby; johan.willems@cogen.com; rickw@dtbonline.com; rodet_nicolas@emc.com; nsallembien@google.com; kdunne@kent.edu; Reynolds, Peter; Louis, Thomas; leonidg@logrus.net; katkag@moraviaworldwide.com; dhalamek@moraviaworldwide.com; veras@moraviaworldwide.com; mss.lei@netway.at; monica.badia@sun.com; anton.danilov@sun.com; Tom Garland; svetlana.ignatieva@sun.com; beatriz.bonnet@syntes.com; Kim Harris @ Textform; gcorpas@ya.com; gerhard.budin@univie.ac.at; fsasaki@w3c.org; ddickson@worldvision.org; cmeese@worldvision.org; don@commonsenseadvisory.com; Sabine Cretella; info@global-conference.com; Erik Moeller; Board Wikimedia Foundation
Subject: Re: Request for organising a vote

dear gerard,

please see http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wiki_for_standards#Poll where the requested poll starts at midnight to come.
i hope this is as requested and to your satisfaction.

warm regards,

oscar

On 1/12/06, Gerard Meijssen <gerard.meijssen@gmail.com> wrote:
*Hoi Oscar,*
Would you be so kind and organise a vote for the "wiki for standards" as
we discuss yesterday IRL. The proposal has been put forward on Meta and
on the foundation mailing list, there have been no negative remarks.
This is to comply with the "new project policy"
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/New_project_policy . This policy requires
that someone who is outside of the group that is involved in the
proposal must run the poll.

I have asked the Wikimedia Foundation board for a fast track application
for the approval for this project in anticipation of a favourable
outcome. As there is a lot of enthusiasm for this wiki and it is best
when we can realise it soon. I hope they will agree to this on the next
board meeting.

*For the people who were at the Berlin conference; *
The project policy requires at least five translations of the major
wikipedias. Given that many of you are in the translation business, it
should be easy for you to come up with the translations of the text that
can be found here: http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wiki_for_standards. NB
as this text IS on a wiki, what I have put their /can /be edited by you
as well :) .

I have found that the wikistandards.org and the standardswiki.org are
already occupied by a Steven Crowley.
http://reports.internic.net/cgi/whois?whois_nic=wikistandards.org&type=domain
I do not know this gentleman, he might hold it for the purpose of a
Wikimedia Foundation Wikistandards project! I would appreciate it if
someone could ask him nicely if the wikistandards.org can be handed over
to the Wikimedia Foundation.

When this proves to be a problem, I am sure we can come up with an
alternative for this domain name.

Thanks,
   Gerard