Subject: Re: [xliff] Exploring teleconference options for XLIFF calls

Hi all,

On Saturday 01 March 2008 10:32:21 am bryan.s.schnabel@tektronix.com wrote:
> Hello TC members,
>
> I've just learned that our long-standing use of Oracle's meeting place
> teleconference facility is coming to an end.  I'd like to express my
> sincere gratitude to them for very generously providing us with such an
> excellent service these many years.
>
> Going forward, we have a challenge to find the best way for us to
> conduct our meetings.  Our partners at OASIS are working on options for
> us.  Meanwhile, in the interest of due-diligence, I'd like to get an
> idea of what additional alternatives we have.
>
> Please let me know . . .
>
> 1. Can you provide a similar teleconference facility for our XLIFF TC
> conference calls?  The optimal situation would be that you could provide
> us a dial-in number, ideally toll-free, for as many regions as possible.
>
> 2. Can you recommend a free VOIP teleconference service we should try?
> The best situation would be that they could offer us a toll-free dial in
> number for a good number of our members, and that the quality would be
> good.
>
> 3. Is Skype a viable possibility for you?  Do you have experience using
> Skype for teleconferences?  If so, did it work well?

Skype from anywhere to landline numbers in the US is usually free, and is what
I've been using for many teleconferences, including my previous XLIFF TC
meeting(s). From my side the quality is good. I'm also happy to use Skype to
Skype teleconference, although that probably limits us to 9 participants.

The time-of-day is probably the biggest quality-of-service issue for me, as I
tend to be quite tired at 2 AM ;)

cheers,
asgeir