Subject: RE: [xliff] Datatype

Hi Rodolfo,

> > I see that among the pre-defined data there is "xliff". That speaks
> > volume about the problem we have: If one generates a TMX document
> > from an XLIFF document it should use the datatype values specify in
> > the XLIFF document in the equivalent datatype attribute, not
> > "xliff", otherwise we are losing information when going to TMX.
>
> If the source file for the generated TMX is an XLIFF file, then "xliff"
> should be used.

I disagree.

> The original XLIFF could be created from any content. TMX should not
> care about that.

I think it should care a great deal. Datatype does not indicate from what repository the TMX (or XLIFF) file has been created, it
indicates what type of data (format) of the text.

If I convert an XLIFF entry with datatype="html" to TMX I want to see with datatype="html" in TMX, not datatype="xliff", or I would
lose information.

It should become something like this in TMX: <seg><itag...>&lt;br/></itag><seg>,
not something like this: <seg><itag..>&lt;ph>&lt;br/>&lt;/ph></itag></seg>

the converted content is html not xliff.

Definition is TMX 2.0 draft = "Specifies the type of data contained in the element. ... "
Definition is XLIFf 1.2 = "The datatype attribute specifies the kind of text contained in the element. ..."

While both definitions are pretty vague, they certainly seems to indicate the same thing. And both have a list where most values are
common. Why would we not use the proper value when it's possible?