Subject: RE: Wiki Document related to "Generic Inline Markup" - Proposal forNext Steps

Hi Christian,

We touched on your proposal a bit in our last meeting. But delayed the full discussion until a time when you could attend. Related to your idea about a very structured approach, we did all agree that it was best to revert back to a requirements gathering phase before we even begin to think about the state as it exists currently in XLIFF and TMX, or specific ideas for going forward.

And regarding you thoughts about "direct changes to the Wiki" vs. "e-mail thread first," we began that discussion. I'm not sure we established a universal approach to have a useful, up-to-date, yet in-control wiki.  But we did agree that it will be okay to add comments the wiki, as long as each comment has a name and date associated with it.

Thanks for the very useful proposal.  We can certainly discuss it further at the next meeting.

From: Lieske, Christian [mailto:christian.lieske@sap.com]
Sent: Monday, April 06, 2009 11:22 PM
To: xliff@lists.oasis-open.org

Hi there,

I have just browsed the e-mail traffic of the last days. I saw sub-topics such as

- TMX 2.0 does not have an inline element to store content?
- XLIFF 2.0 in 3D (Testing the friendship between XLIFF and TMX)
- Opinion: importance of preserving XML markup and nodes
- Opinion: Need or not for SUB

In addition, I re-read the thread around the question how to maintain the Wiki
page.

Both threads made me wonder if we would benefit from a very structured (for example time-boxed) approach
for continuing our work on the "Generic Inline Markup".

Accordingly, I would like to propose something along the following how lines:

Calendar Week 17: "General Scope" discussion
Calendar Week 18: "General Scope" decision
Calendar Week 19: "Relationship to a namespace" discussion
Calendar Week 20: "Relationship to a namespace" decision

We would thus

- clearly separate the "Generic Inline Markup" work from other activities/discussions
- tackle the different dimensions as separate "work streams"
- have a clear timeline

With regard to the question "direct changes to the Wiki" vs. "e-mail thread first", I would slant towards
"direct changes to the Wiki". From my point-of-view this would make it easier to quickly get an
overview of the state-of-affairs related to a certain dimension.

@Bryan: Would it still be possible to add discussion around this e-mail to today's conf. call agenda? Aside:
It is very likely that I will not be able to participate in today's call.

Cheers,
Christian