Subject: Re: [xliff] TMX 2.0 does not have an inline element to store content? (RE: [xliff] Wiki Document related to "Generic Inline Markup")

Hi Yves,

Very well put. I am with Bryan and Magnus on the <g> + <x> solution.
That is how we implement inlines in both XLIFF and within our TM
already. Because we convert everything to XML before extraction this is
very important to us. We only use one extraction program driven by ITS
rules for the different file formats converted to XML.

Best Regards,

AZ

The future is bright, the future is XML!

Yves Savourel wrote:
>> I guess complexity and comfort depend on what tools a developer uses. Dealing with nesting is not that
>> complicated in my world.  I like to process XML source with XML tools.  That way I stand a better chance
>> of not breaking things (or accidentally rendering XML to be malformed). It would be easy enough to write
>> a perl script to turn fake markup into markup. But the risk is that the start and end gets miscalculated
>> or separated.  That's what I consider complicated and not practical.
>>
>> So I guess the question is, are we creating these standards for people with your taste, or people with
>> my taste, or both?  If the answer is both, then not supporting the option I so strongly advocate for is
>> probably a mistake.
>>

> I'm with Bryan for this.
>
> The OOXML is a extreme case. In many formats, the mapping to XLIFF/TMX is much simpler. The way <itag> currently works is reducing
> everything to the worst case scenario. And there is certainly a logic in supporting only that: If you have to implement that
> mechanism why bother with others type of markup?
>
> I guess it's a matter of scope: People like Rodolfo who have to deal with many very different formats may see the lowest level
> solution as sufficient. While others, like Bryan, have a selected set of formats to work with and may need more elegant solutions
> because of the tools they are using.
>
> I think XLIFF/TMX/2.0 should cater to both, or at the very least, at this point, explore the solutions that could satisfy both
> requirements.
>
> After all: If you don't store the codes in the inline tags all the logic of the worst case scenario collapses.
>
> -ys

email - azydron@xml-intl.com
smail - c/o Mr. A.Zydron
	PO Box 2167
        Gerrards Cross
        Bucks SL9 8XF
	United Kingdom
Mobile +(44) 7966 477 181
FAX    +(44) 1753 480 465
www - http://www.xml-intl.com

the individual named.  If you are not the named addressee you may not
disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail.  Please notify the sender
delete this e-mail from your system.
E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free as
information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive
late or incomplete, or contain viruses.  The sender therefore does not
message which arise as a result of e-mail transmission.  If verification
is required please request a hard-copy version. Unless explicitly stated
otherwise this message is provided for informational purposes only and
should not be construed as a solicitation or offer.

begin:vcard
fn;quoted-printable:Andrzej Zydro=C5=84
n;quoted-printable:Zydro=C5=84;Andrzej
email;internet:azydron@xml-intl.com