OASIS Mailing List ArchivesView the OASIS mailing list archive below
or browse/search using MarkMail.


Help: OASIS Mailing Lists Help | MarkMail Help

xliff message

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]

Subject: Groups - XLIFF Teleconference modified

Added meeting minutes.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all.


 -- Rodolfo Raya

XLIFF Teleconference has been modified by Rodolfo Raya

Date:  Tuesday, 15 December 2009
Time:  11:00am - 12:00pm ET

Event Description:
1/ Call one of the FreeConferenceCall phone numbers:

US: (712) 432-1600
Austria: 0820 4000 1552
Belgium: 070 35 9974
France: 0826 100 256
Germany: 01805 00 76 09 
Ireland: 0818 270 021
Italy: 848 390 156
Netherlands: 0870 001 920
Spain: 902 886025
Switzerland: 0848 560 179
UK: 0844 581 9102

2/ Enter the Participant Access Code: 737043#

1/ Roll call
2/ Approve Tuesday, 03 November 2009 meeting minutes:
   Accept, reject, or amend.

3/ Announcements
  A. Error discovered in XLIFF 1.2 Specification, Appendix A (Rodolfo)
  B. Dimitra is conducting an XLIFF questionnaire 
  C. Request from a user to provide an XLIFF users list, to be hosted by OASIS
     completed: http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xliff/200912/msg00005.html
  D. Christian posted the slides from tcworld 2009
  E. Bryan/Lucia posted pictures of DITA Europe 2009 XLIFF face-to-face
  F. Bryan proposed to the DITA Translation SC 
     that the time is now to educate the community 
     that XLIFF is the best practice for translating DITA

4/ XLIFF 1.2 Errata Status Update
  A. Rodolfo's report
  B. Christian's proposal for improved XLIFF 1.2 specification
     i.  Benefits ?
     ii. Substantive change?

5/ Review Requirements for inline elements - Goal for today's meeting: resolve 3.1.5; resolve 3.1.6
(come to consensus on the requirements, then assign owners to propose wording for the spec)    

here's my *score card*:

1.1. Definitions/Terminology
"This section is under construction. " (additional examples have been added)

 3.1.1. Common representation of 'inline' markup vs 'block-level' markup
   1. [Resolved]
   2. [Resolved]
   3. [Resolved]

 3.1.2. Canonical Representation of native content

[Tabled (minutes: http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xliff/200909/msg00001.html) "A roll call vote was held and it was agreed that discussion of canonical representation will be kept as a working item for further discussion." Bryan: We have spent many meeting cycles and cannot seem to agree on an answer to the question (with regard to defining scope) "Should there only be one physical representation for a given native representation (wrt codes, inline-markup, 'skeleton' data, sub-flows)?" So I request the interested parties establish a point/counterpoint email thread. When all points are documented I will conduct an email ballot to arrive at a "yes/no" decision - no later than 13-OCTOBER-2009]

 3.1.3. Extensibility / Annotations
 3.1.4. [Resolved] Content Manipulation
 3.1.5. [Not yet addressed] XML Implementation 
 3.1.6. [Not yet addressed] General Scope

6/ In "4. Requirements (Step 2)," we have a series of "Should" statements. 
   Upon completing "3. Defining the Scope (Step 1)" we should do two things:
  A. Review the existing Requirements and come to agreement that 
     each Requirement is valid

  B. Assimilate the results of the Scope section into the Requirements section
     (perhaps this step should be done offline by a volunteer, then reviewed
     at a TC meeting

7/  "XLIFF 2.0 will be complete when _______" 
  There are two camps for filling in the blank
  A. Set a calendar goal. All items that are complete and approved by the 
     TC make it into XLIFF 2.0 - All others need to wait for the "next train," 
     i.e., XLIFF 2.X or XLIFF 3. Special care needs to be taken to define 
     doneness and ensure no dependency issues between items. 
     And "XLIFF 2.0 is complete on set date of *Month/Day/Year*"
         - or - 
 B. Define a finite set of XLIFF 2.0 items. Set a cutoff date for adding items. 
    The list of accepted items becomes our requirements document.
    And "XLIFF 2.0 is complete when items 1 through X are finished"
    (some in this camp see our current set of goals, as is, as that 
    finite list)

    i. Yves commented that XLIFF is not a software. And we should be careful with releasing versions that do not have some specific features we know will ultimately end up there. (http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xliff/200904/msg00018.html)
8/ XLIFF 2.0 

9/ Charter update (Tony)

10/ New Business

Present: Bryan Schnabel, Magnus Martikainen, Dimitra Anastasiou, Lucia Morado Vazques, Rodolfo Raya, Christian Lieske and Doug Domeny.

Regrets: Yves Savourel.

Doug moved to approve previous minutes, Bryan seconded and none opposed.

Rodolfo mentioned that the comment about the elements tree included in the specification is a minor mistake. Two elements have wrong indentation and that should be corrected in XLIFF 1.2 errata.

Dimitra is working on a survey regarding XLIFF adoption and will send the results with the TC.

The TC received a request to create a public mailing list for end users, so Bryan contacted Mary McRae and the mailing list has been created. He also replied to the request, announcing the creation of the list and providing subscription instructions. Rodolfo will add a note to the TC's home page stating that the purpose of the new list is for exchanging comments between members of the XLIFF user community about tools and support for technical features.

Christian posted the slides he used at TEKOM and Bryan & Lucia posted pictures from the XLIFF face to face meeting during DITA Europe.

Bryan sent a message to the DITA Translation subcommittee suggesting that this is a good time to promote the use of XLIFF for translating DITA projects and inviting that SC to work together. Rodolfo informed that the DITA Adoption committee will carry on with the tasks started by the Translation subcommittee. 

Dimitra mentioned that LRC is willing to help the TC host a special conference for XLIFF adopters. Bryan invited everyone to think on the logistics and task that would be required for preparing a special XLIFF forum at LRC or another location.

Rodolfo informed that he will need help with the errata for XLIFF 1.2. He will contact Mary and ask for an SVN account for the TC, so he can upload his files and share them with the rest of the TC. 

Christian proposed important improvements to the XLIFF schemas and Doug implemented them. Doug sent the updated schemas to the TC list and all members should review them and provide feedback on next meeting.

Meeting adjourned

View event details:

PLEASE NOTE:  If the above link does not work for you, your email
application may be breaking the link into two pieces.  You may be able to
copy and paste the entire link address into the address field of your web

PRODID:-//Kavi Corporation//NONSGML Kavi Groups//EN
X-WR-CALNAME:My Calendar
SUMMARY:XLIFF Teleconference
DESCRIPTION:1/ Call one of the FreeConferenceCall phone numbers:\n\nUS: (712)
  432-1600\nAustria: 0820 4000 1552\nBelgium: 070 35 9974\nFrance: 0826
  100 256\nGermany: 01805 00 76 09 \nIreland: 0818 270 021\nItaly: 848
  390 156\nNetherlands: 0870 001 920\nSpain: 902 886025\nSwitzerland:
  0848 560 179\nUK: 0844 581 9102\n\n\n2/ Enter the Participant Access
  Code: 737043#\n\nGroup: OASIS XML Localisation Interchange File Format
  (XLIFF) TC\nCreator: Bryan Schnabel*

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]