Subject: RE: [xliff] XLIFF 2.0 Core

Hi,

The attached XML Schema drafts what I have in mind for a translation unit. In plain text, my initial proposal would be:

<unit> : extracted translatable text.

Contains:

 - One or more <segment> elements

<segment> : minimum portion of translatable text

Contains:

- Zero, one or more <ignorable> elements followed by
- One <source> element followed by
- Zero or one <target> element followed by
- Zero, one or more <ignorable> elements followed by
- Zero, one or more <note> elements followed by
- Zero or one <matches> element

<ignorable> : white space of formatting information that needs to be preserved but does not need to be modified/translated

Contains:

- White space
- Elements used to store inline markup

<matches> :  collection of matches retrieved from any system (MT, TM, etc.)

Contains:

- One or more <match> elements

<match> a potential translation suggested for the enclosing <segment> element

Contains:

- One <source> element followed by
- One <target> element

Contains:

- Text

<source> portion of text to be translated

Contains:

-Text
- Elements used to store inline markup

<target> the translation of the sibbling <source> element

Contains:

-Text
- Elements used to store inline markup

The attached picture (unit_schema.jpg) may help in understanding the proposal.

The <matches> element is not really necessary and can be discarded. It only serves to keep some order.

If we agree on this draft, we will have to add attributes.

Best regards,
Rodolfo M. Raya   <rmraya@maxprograms.com>
Maxprograms      http://www.maxprograms.com