Subject: RE: [xliff] Proposal for ballots on: Extensibility in XLIFF 2.0

Hi,

The second ballot has been created and you should soon receive the corresponding notification from KAVI.

Last week we talked but the possibility of using namespaces to indicate the value of the “type” attribute. There is no special option for this case in the ballot, as an attribute value can be anything, even a namespace name. This case is supported in the “Elements” defined by the XLIFF TC  option. If necessary, a comment can be added in the specification mentioning that attribute values can be namespaces names.

Rodolfo M. Raya       rmraya@maxprograms.com
Maxprograms
http://www.maxprograms.com

From: xliff@lists.oasis-open.org [mailto:xliff@lists.oasis-open.org] On Behalf Of Estreen, Fredrik
Sent: Friday, May 04, 2012 7:17 AM
To: xliff@lists.oasis-open.org

Hi All,

as discussed earlier in the week I propose two ballots to decide the overall direction for third party extensibility of XLIFF 2.0. I’m looking for a second of these proposed votes.

First ballot:

Shall we allow any third party extensions in XLIFF 2.0?

* 'Yes' for extensibility by some means

* 'No' for no extensibility at all

* 'Abstain' for need of more discussion

Second ballot to be held only if the result of the first was ‘Yes’:

What general method(s) do we want to allow for third party extensions?

* 'Elements' for extensibility by elements and attributes defined in the XLIFF specification. An example of this method is the proposed <metaHolder> feature.

* 'Namespaces' for extensibility by allowing third party namespaces at defined locations in the XLIFF documents. As we do in XLIFF 1.2 possibly with additional requirements for conformance and processing expectations.

* 'Elements and Namespaces’ to use both of the above methods to facilitate extensibility.

* 'Abstain' for need of more discussion

Once we have decided if and how we want extensibility we can proceed to work out the technical details.

Regards,

Fredrik Estreen