Subject: Re: [xliff] XLIFF 2.0 spec - dF Issue #01 - Extensibility and processing requirements

Yves,

same as Rodolfo, I think that it is a substantial difference that
XLIFF modules have an OASIS warranted published schema, whereas
extensions don't.
This is also what I mean when I say that support of extensions can be
negotiated outside XLIFF TC.
Some authorities behind namespaces (and underlying semantics!) are
better than others, so some people might be happy to validate against
a W3C published schema rather than against a schema published by a
private initiative or a single tools vendor. And why should people
bother at all to preserve stuff that has no published schema at all?
Still a Corporate buyer or an LSP can negotiate within their supply
chain that their extensions won't be deleted. They might even
negotiate that they will be supported, ideally as an OASIS warranted
XLIFF module :-)

I see the point that applications supporting only core might have
trouble discerning between real modules and "unsupported modules".
Still I do not subscribe to this terminology, as it might obscure the
substantial difference between a module and an extension.

This must be resolved by a specific requirement not to delete modules
based on schema validation. Obviously schema is not enough for
processing, and sure enough we do not want the core only applications
to process the modules, we only tell them to preserve them and for
that end, schema should be enough.
Besides if they are lazy they can decide not to validate non-core and
preserve everything at points where modules or extensions are allowed.
There is no harm in it. On the other hand if someone multiplies the
size of an xliff file by inclusion of some verbose proprietary mark up
it is totally legitimate to delete it to preserve own storage
resources (the use case might be e.g. building an MT training corpus,
or simply unwillingness to clutter machines of my translators with
rubbish, and rubbish it can be if it is ANY extension).

If extensions will have the same level of protection as modules,
implementers will rely on extensions rather than push modules into
common space. And this is fundamentally bad from my point of view.

Extensions can compete for feature coverage with other extensions, but
MUST NOT compete with features covered by core AND modules.

Modules are documented in the same spec as core and other modules,
along with a schema that allows to recognize them as protected.

I believe the following is a substantial question:
What good can come from preserving an extension if you must not rely
on it for merging back?

The general Processing Requirements should go like this

Core MUST be processed.
Module MUST be processed if supported, or otherwise preserved.
Extension MAY be processed, preserved, or deleted. [my preferred way]

Or we might want to say something like:
Extensions SHOULD NOT be deleted if their schema is declared in the
XLIFF document AND publicly accessible.
Otherwise Extensions MAY be processed, preserved, or deleted.

I believe that SHOULD NOT is the right normative word here, as in most
cases it is good not to delete, still people can decide to delete if
they have their reasons. It is like us using : for a non-namespace
prefix, we have a good reason for it, or do we? :-).

Rgds

telephone: +353-6120-2781
cellphone: +353-86-0222-158
facsimile: +353-6120-2734