Subject: Re: [xliff] Prefixed attriubutes for modules

On 2.12.2014 10:48, Dr. David Filip wrote:
> I guess one of the practical implications is:
> If you have an attribute of the glossary namespace (we typically prefix it
> as gls:, and I am using here typical prefixes as shorthand for their
> namespaces) on an element that is from the glossary namespace -
> Soroush and I would think that it actually does not matter if you prefix it
> or not. If it is not prefixed it will be "magically" considered of the same
> namespace (vocabulary?) as the element, on which it is and not the xlf:
> namespace. But also that there is no harm in explicitly prefixing the
> attribute.

No, prefixed and unprefixed attributes are completely different and you
have to decide which way to go.

For elements, the following two documents are identical:

<foo xmlns="http://example.com"/>

<bar:foo xmlns:bar="http://example.com"/>

When we add attributes, the following two documents are identical, note
missing bar: prefix on attribute:

<foo a="123" xmlns="http://example.com"/>

<bar:foo a="123" xmlns:bar="http://example.com"/>

And these two documents are completely different from both of:

<foo bar:a="123" xmlns="http://example.com"; xmlns:bar="http://example.com"/>

<bar:foo bar:a="123" xmlns:bar="http://example.com"/>

> However, Yves previously said that it is invalid if you prefix an attribute
> that is on an element from the SAME namespace.

Could you point to the correct thread, so I can comment? I'm just
remotely monitoring what's happening in XLIFF world?

> What is the best practice?

It depends, about which XLIFF feature we are talking about?

     Professional XML and Web consulting and training services
DocBook/DITA customization, custom XSLT/XSL-FO document processing