Subject: Another spec question - processing requirements for state attribute

http://docs.oasis-open.org/xliff/xliff-core/v2.1/os/xliff-core-v2.1-os.html#state

The processing requirements section has a statement:

  Writers MUST NOT set the state attribute values to other than the default initial if and only if the <segment> element where the attribute is set doesn't have the <target> child.

I'm struggling to interpret "only if" part. Above statement seems to tell

  1. If <segment> does not have <target>, writers must not set state attribute other than "initial". I understand this requirement.
  2. If <segment> has <target>, writers must not set state="initial". This is my interpretation of the part "only if".

My interpretation 2 is correct, I think many examples in XLIFF 2.1 seem to violate the processing requirement, because the default value of state attribute is "initial".

<xliff xmlns="urn:oasis:names:tc:xliff:document:2.0" version="2.0"

    srcLang="en" trgLang="fr">

  <file id="f1">

    <notes>

      <note id="n1">note for file.</note>

    </notes>

    <unit id="u1">

      <my:elem xmlns:my="myNamespaceURI" id="x1">data</my:elem>

      <notes>

        <note id="n1">note for unit</note>

      </notes>

      <segment id="s1">