xmlvoc message

Subject: Re: [xmlvoc] Applicaiton Programming Interface - API : Proposeddefinition

At 11:37 AM 5/12/2003 -0400, Patrick Durusau wrote:
>Greetings,
>
>I will be posting proposed definitions for the xmlvoc.ltm file to the
>list. Please expect one every 3 to 4 days, sooner if there is general
>approval, so we can get through the entire file by Montreal.
>
>Term: application programming interface
>
>Suggested definition: The interface (calling conventions) by which an
>application program accesses operating system and other services.  An API
>is defined at source code level and provides a level of abstraction
>between the application and the kernel (or other privileged utilities) to
>ensure the portability of the code.

Another definition --  FYI -- I like the following better. Techweb has very
good definitions, as I mentioned at the meeting.  Please consider this in
your votes :)

http://www.techweb.com/encyclopedia/defineterm?term=API&x=38&y=7
(Application Programing Interface) A language and message format used by an
application program to communicate with the operating system or some other
control program such as a database management system (DBMS) or
communications protocol. APIs are implemented by writing function calls in
the program, which provide the linkage to the required subroutine for
execution. Thus, an API implies that some program module is available in
the computer to perform the operation or that it must be linked into the
existing program to perform the tasks.