xmlvoc message

Subject: Re: [xmlvoc] API - 3 choices

Lars,

Lars Marius Garshol wrote:

>* Patrick Durusau
>|
>| So, for the first round on defining API we have:
>|
>| 1. The interface (calling conventions) by which an application program
>|    accesses operating system and other services.  An API provides a
>|    level of abstraction between the application and the kernel (or
>|    other privileged utilities) to ensure the portability of the code.
>
>Instead of "kernel", which tends to imply "kernel of operating
>system", I would say "library" or "module". Also, the bit about
>"portability of the code" is kind of strange. What was that part of
>the sentence meant to convey? It now sounds like portability from one
>platform to another, but I suppose something along the lines of using
>abstraction to make the internals of two parts of a program
>independent of one another is better.

Since #1 has three positives, let me try to fix it to meet your comments:

Revised #1:

The interface (calling conventions) by which an application program accesses another service (like the operating system).  An API provides a level of abstraction between the application and the other service.

***

Comment: Took out kernel and used operating system as an example of "other services." Agree that "portability of the code" is a strange idea for an API. I think it was intended to mean something like standard access to the service but it was not expressed very well.

How does #1 read to everyone now?

Patrick

--
Patrick Durusau