xmlvoc message

Subject: Re: [xmlvoc] document stage

* Patrick Durusau

| Still, I think "document version" is the more common term and
| suspect we should define it in preference to "document stage."

Whoops! A "document version" is something completely different. What
we were thinking of was stages like those that W3C documents go
through: working draft, candidate recommendation, recommendation, and
similarly in ISO: committee draft, final committee draft, draft
international standard, final draft international standard,
international standard. And so on.

| The only counter argument I see is that documents do have stages in
| the standards process.

Exactly. :)

| Hmmm, seems like we ought to distinguish between versions and stages
| doesn't it? I could have a draft (as in document stage) that was the
| fifth revision (document version).

My feeling is that we should leave out versions entirely. It's going
to be way too detailed in actual use, and someone who wants it can
easily define it themselves and relate it into what we've done.

Here is my attempt at a definition:

  "A stage in the formal document approval process that specifications
  and other documents go through to be approved by a particular a
  standards body. Each standards body usually has its own set of
  document stages and a fixed order documents must follow."

How about that?