xri message

Subject: RE: [xri] Top Ten XRI Requirements

I agree a) with Peter, b) with Xavier, and c) with Gabe. In other words, I
didn't mean strictly hierarchical at all (though technically the path of
delegation will form its own hierarchy no matter how many trees it
connects). And by "to any depth" I meant not arbitrarity limited to within
one tree or across x number of trees.

Gabe is right, though, in that the "Top 10 List" was just an way of
presenting the essence of the requirements we've developed so far for quick
persusal and mind-jogging, and doesn't have any formal bearing to the
requirements document so far. It's a tool I was thinking of using at the f2f
to help drive discussion. Requirements discussions can go on forever if you
don't find a way to focus them.

Please, everyone, do feel free to post thoughts on the most productive way
to focus the discussions at the f2f - Gabe and I are working on the agenda
right now.

=Drummond

-----Original Message-----
From: Wachob, Gabe [mailto:gwachob@visa.com]
Sent: Friday, February 07, 2003 10:38 AM
To: 'Peter C Davis'; xavier serret
Cc: Drummond Reed; xri@lists.oasis-open.org

I think anytime we see a ambiguity or confusion (even temporary) like this,
we should think about whether folks outside the effort are going to be more
confused than we are.

While I agree that delegation technically doesn't imply hierarhical, Peter's
initial assumption would, I think, be a common one. Certainly, Peter has
just a lot of experience in this area and I think people many people reading
these documents are going to have similar backgrounds.

Maybe we should add a note amplifying the notion that delegation doesn't
neccesarily imply hierarchy.

Its also unclear to me what the official status of these "top ten" are, and
whether they are going to actually be formal requirements. They have not yet
been integrated into the requirements strawman (Drummond and I need to
connect on this). I think the top ten overlap significantly with that
document. Drummond has positioned the top ten as a "powerpoint version" of
the requirements we already have.

Regardless, good conversation to have.

        -Gabe