xri message

Subject: RE: [xri] Use case proposal

Mike,

I think you nailed it. I like the idea of "modal" use cases for the major
categories of requirements. I agree we can skip URI and URN because
Persistence is covered later in the list.

I also agree with the specific requirements you called out as needing their
own.

A suggestion for a next step: writing up a one-paragraph summary of each
suggested use case and posting to the list for comments. That way we can
quickly (hopefully) agree on what a good archetypcal use case is for each
category.

=Drummond

-----Original Message-----
From: Lindelsee, Mike [mailto:mlindels@visa.com]
Sent: Monday, March 10, 2003 10:28 AM
To: 'xri@lists.oasis-open.org'
Subject: [xri] Use case proposal

All,

During the face-to-face, I was tasked with coming up with a proposal for how
to tackle and organize the use cases for the requirements document.  After a
bit of thinking and a review of the current version of the requirements
document, I think we should capture the major use cases for each of the
sections of the requirements (i.e., sections 4.1.1 thru 4.3.2)  and
additionally capture use cases for individual requirements that are either
hard to understand or are not obviously necessary requirements.

So, for a start, I believe we need to identify the modal use cases for the
following areas (with the possible exception of URI and URN -- do we need
use cases for those two topics?) :

  URI
  URN
  Abstraction and Independence
  Persistence and Semantic Mapping
  Cross-Context Identification
  Extensibility
  Authority, Delegation & Federation
  Data Protection and Security (syntax)
  Resolution
  Data Protection and Security (resolution)

In addition, the following requirements (to me at least) seem to warrant use
cases as well.

  CR-3 Transport Independence (I think that we see this as obvious and
others often just don't get it)
  CR-30 Identifier Mapping
  CR-31 Combining Permanent and Reassignable Identifiers
  CR-14 Version Identification

I welcome all comments and thoughts and am looking to the rest of you in the
TC for assistance in identifying use cases for all of these areas.

Mike