xri message

Subject: RE: [xri] RE: [xri-editors] URI authority resolution

Gabe,

Dave called me to explain that in your scenario, the trusted resolution
signatures should be interpreted as applying only to the authenticity of the
XRID, and not as assertions that the "OtherXRIs" in the body of the XRID are
valid.

He feels a SAML assertion should be enclosed in the XRID if the authority is
actually vouching for these "OtherXRIs".

This makes sense to me. But it reinforces that we should be sure to make it
clear what is and is not "trusted" in the trusted resolution spec.

=Drummond

-----Original Message-----
From: Drummond Reed [mailto:drummond.reed@cordance.net]
Sent: Tuesday, November 30, 2004 4:29 PM
To: 'Wachob, Gabe'; 'Davis, Peter'; 'Dave McAlpin'
Cc: xri@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: [xri] RE: [xri-editors] URI authority resolution

Gabe, the trust chain in your scenario doesn't make sense to me. The XRID
you describe as being resolved from "@community*evilmember" asserts that it
is equivalent to "@!1!2!3". And you're saying it is "@microsoft" that is
really equivalent to "@!1!2!3".

That's cool - so there are 3 delegation chains represented here - two i-name
chains and one i-number chain.

1) "@" delegates to "*community" delegates to "*evilmember".
2) "@" delegates to "*microsoft" (we should avoid real names in these
examples).
3) "@" delegates to "!1" delegates to "!2" delegates to "!3".

In your scenario, "@community" is the authority that would return the XRID
for "*evilmember". And if that XRID contains a digitally assigned assertion
that "@community*evilmember" is equivalent to "@!1!2!3", then its the
"@community" registry that can't be trusted, not "*evilmember".

Presumably any registry that is going to issue assertions of equivalence
between XRIs is going to require authentication from the registrants of
those XRIs. So before "@community" enters into its registry and starts
signing assertions that "*evilmember" is equivalent to "@!1!2!3",
"@community" should be asking the "@!1!2" registry for authentication that
the registrant of "*evilmember" is also the registrant of "@!1!2!3".

On the other hand, if the XRID from the "@" registry asserts that
"@microsoft" is equivalent to "@!1!2!3", the it's the @ registry (or its
registrars) that should authenticate that the registrant of "@microsoft" is
also the registrant of "@!1!2!3".

Either way, it's still up to the resolver to decide what registry it trusts.
But the whole idea of trusted resolution is predicated on following a chain
of trust down the delegation chain, right?

I'm very familiar with this scenario as we're building the foundation for it
in the XDI.ORG Global Services Specifications right now.

Or have I missed a larger point in your scenario?

=Drummond