xri message

Subject: Removing ds elements from schema (was: OpenID Delegating relationship in XRD)

I'm actually really interested in pursuing this a bit more as well.
It would allow us to use the original content model we had, but in a
way that works with XSD.  Interestingly, if we don't include the ds:*
elements as part of the XRD schema, it would solve the problem we had
with RelaxNG since there is no longer a schema dependence on XML
DSig.  (Not that I'm necessarily advocating a switch back to RelaxNG
at this point).

I'm curious to hear from John and Nat on this as well, since I recall
them both being vocal about really liking the <Extensions> element
which contains all extended elements.  It's worth noting, that even
though <Extensions> provided a nice wrapper for extended elements, we
still have extended attributes all over the place, so how much does
that wrapper element really buy you as far as processing is concerned?

The other big question is the placement of ds:Signature.  I completely
understand Scott's argument for placing it higher up in the document.
This change we're discussing would mean that the Signature could now
appear anywhere in the document.  Scott, how much of a concern is this
really?  The idea of placing it higher is so that XML processors would
know early on if they needed to be doing canonicalization.  How many
processors actually alter their behavior in the presence of the
Signature element in this way?  I'm fairly certain the Java version of
XML-Tooling does not.  How about the C version?  We could always
recommend that XRD providers place the Signature element higher up in
the document.

thoughts from others?  If we're going to go down this route, I need to
go ahead and start moving language around for working draft 07.

-will