Subject: Call for Nominations - chair

First, I want to thank those of you who have already indicated their
support of my being the chair of this group.  It was and is very much
appreciated.

Second, we have to follow due process (and we have people on the list who
were not at the informational meeting in San Jose), so .....

Chair:
[name(s)] have/has agreed to serve as chair(s)

I am willing to serve as chair of this Technical Committee.  I am prepared
to delegate a lot of the work to participating members (read "I'm not going
to do this all myself"), as this was the downfall of my chairmanship of the
XML Conformance Technical Committee (thanks to Mary Brady of NIST for the
recovery).  I'm an independent contractor and with the blessing of my
company president (also my wife) I can undertake this non-revenue volunteer
work to a point.  If I find there isn't the support of the members of the
group to take on the tasks that are required, I will step down before I do
a bad job due to my time constraints.  My OASIS volunteerism includes
membership on the Process Advisory Committee and the XML Conformance
Technical Committee.  My other standards volunteerism includes Canadian
chair of CAC/ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 34 Document Description and Processing (the
ISO committee responsible for the SGML family of international standards)
and a few other Canadian committees.  (can you tell that I like this kind
of stuff?)

Anyone wishing to also put themselves forward as the chair should do so
now, as the decision of the group has to be reflected in the Call for
Nominations.

I am also willing to step aside for someone (perhaps a salaried employee of
a member company) who has the commitment from their management for more
time to put to this effort than I do ... I'm anxious to see this work
completed and I don't have to be the chair to be part of the work.

To keep this thread short, I ask that support for my chairmanship not be
posted to the list and perhaps only suggestions for other candidates as
chair, or any objections to my being chair, would be of interest in this
thread.

--
G. Ken Holman                    mailto:gkholman@CraneSoftwrights.com
Crane Softwrights Ltd.             http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/m/