Subject: Re: Agenda item for July ConfCall: September meeting

At 00/07/03 11:44 -0400, David_Marston@lotus.com wrote:
>I just got off the phone with one of the XML World staff,
>discussing options for our committee to meet at the Boston
>XML World conference in September. If we can resolve what
>we want to do in this week's teleconference, that would be
>ideal for getting a more formal request back to them and
>having it realized.

Thanks for doing the background work ... I've added it to the agenda for
Thursday.

>We could have both a meeting among ourselves and
>a spectated meeting, in which case I advocate having the
>more private meeting first, so that we can review how we
>might involve the audience in the open meeting.

I'd like to cover this in the teleconference ... my thought was we would
have our formal meeting at the Lotus premises (since you had previously
offered them) and that any venue at the conference would be a public
information meeting and not a formal committee meeting.

>On the
>other hand, we may prefer to have a smaller meeting when
>we want to achieve closure. Don't forget that we will
>need to tell the conference organizers how much time we
>want for that evening session.

If restricted to an informational meeting, the length won't be critical.

>So here it is in the form of a motion:

Procedurally, I don't think we can make motions by email ... OASIS asks us
to run by Roberts Rules and in the PAC we've determined that email
techniques do not provide sufficient fairness for the proper conduct of a
meeting (which is the only place where a motion can be made, seconded,
discussed and voted upon).

However, noting in the list what you *intend* to move as a motion is
important as it allows all to cogitate on it before we get
together.  Thanks for letting your intentions be known; I have made note of
this for our agenda (I haven't seen a lot of requests for agenda items; I
will try to put one together soon; today is a holiday in Canada and
tomorrow is a holiday in the U.S., so there is a bit of a problem
coordinating work).

I already have some discussion to this new agenda item which I will add
below as a prelude to our teleconference (this is exactly what I was
expecting us to do: someone would raise an issue for the next meeting and
we would discuss it as much electronically before the next meeting so our
meetings are fairly short with rubberstamping our decisions derived by email).

>I move that we
>ask the XML World organizers for an evening time slot
>for a publicly-spectated meeting which will be the
>formal meeting called for in our meeting schedule,

Since I wasn't planning to attend the conference per se, I was hoping to
only be in Boston to attend our committee meeting (which is why the Lotus
site was attractive to me).  Not having tried to conduct a formal meeting
in the presence of spectators, I would rather our session be "in camera"
and the public session be informative.

>authorize the conference organizers to publish that
>meeting notice in their conference program (and
>similar media, like their Web site),

If we had our meeting off-site, then the evening session would be billed as
an informational meeting.  Those with paid conference attendance would be
in a position to participate in the meeting and field questions from those
interested in learning more.  As was true in Washington, I would be
planning to fly home in the evening so as to not incur a night's lodging
expense.

>that we make an
>advance determination of whether we might call for
>audience input on any discussion items that will (or
>may) come up at that meeting, and also plan to have a
>meeting of just the committee ahead of that public
>session (probably in a BOF timeslot but not called as
>a BOF) to work out how we will maximize the utility
>of the formal meeting.

To correctly bill the meeting in the conference information package, I'd
like to have this figured out in our teleconference.

Thanks!

--
G. Ken Holman                    mailto:gkholman@CraneSoftwrights.com
Crane Softwrights Ltd.             http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/m/