Subject: Re: web site content

At 00/06/28 16:20 -0400, Carmelo Montanez wrote:
>     One of the assignments from the June 5 meeting was web site content.  I
>volunteered to take on that.  Please visit the following web site for some
>of my proposed ideas.

Thanks, Carmelo, for putting this together!

General comments:

(1) Because I live in a rural area and have only slow access (24Kbps, or
21.6Kbps if it is raining) I surf with graphics turned off, relying on the
textual content much like a blind person does.  Every image on every page
is encoded in HTML without the required ALT= attribute; this means I have
no idea what is supposed to be found in each of the graphics.

Hovering over the graphics of some pages (e.g. NIST page), I see there are
some hyperlinks encoded therein.  There should be text-based links
somewhere on the page for every link hidden in a graphic image (as you have
done on the main page).

These suggestions are based on the Web Accessibility Initiative guidelines
regarding good HTML page design practices, found at http://www.w3.org/WAI/
... I think any HTML we post on the web should follow these guidelines.

(2) We were given the layout and appearance of committee pages by OASIS ...
perhaps this content that has been developed can be squeezed into the
stylesheets given to us.  I'm not sure how tight OASIS will ask us to keep
to this old format (the same one used for XML conformance), but I don't
think we should vary too much away from it.  Much like other documentation
projects, we've been given a format, all we need develop is the
content.  Download the existing index.html file and the associated
committee.css file referenced by the metadata tag to see what is there
now.  I, personally, don't like what we've been given by OASIS looks like,
but that is what I was given to use.

XSLT/XPath Conformance Testing

(1) - XML is properly spelled out "Extensible Markup Language" ... this has
repeatedly been emphasized by Jon Bosak in his own presentations ... the
use of "eXtensible" is *not* according to the W3C practices

(2) - the first paragraph refers to XSL instead of XSLT

(3) - perhaps change "a subset of the original XML document" to be "a
subset of the original XML vocabulary or any other arbitrary XML vocabulary"

(4) - there are a number of double spaces that break up the flow of the
paragraphs

(5) - "Xpath" is properly spelled as "XPath" according to the Recommendation

(6) - "on April 2000" should be "in April 2000"

(7) - I don't think the phone numbers are necessary, but if you want to
include them, I believe the international representation of North American
phone numbers is along the lines of +1(613)489-0999 because "1" is the
international country code for North America.
  - I would rather we only have a generic address like
"XSLT-XPath-Conformance@CraneSoftwrights.com" (which I hope we could change
to @oasis-open.org ... I have just asked OASIS to set this up for us)
  - when the FTP depository is established, we can include that address as well

The NIST Test Suite Harness

  - no comments here

Test Suite Taxonomy

  - no comments here ... we can update this when we make decisions; perhaps
even include an XML instance of each of the Recommendations with our
granular ID values for referencing from tests, and a sample stylesheet
doing the Recommendation Linking  ... this way submitters can test their
test file references to the Recommendations

Documents and suite customization

(1) - would these just be example reports?  I wouldn't want to imply they
might be the only reports ... some discussion of how they are generated by
the user would be important

(2) - I like the idea of another page documenting the questions (though the
DTD we provide should have detailed documentation as well)

Committee Members

(1) - my surname is "Holman" not "Hollman"
  - perhaps put the fact that I am the committee chairman on the second
line, since JR has an academic suffix (I wouldn't want to use the same
convention for the chair's position)

(2) - John's surname is "Evdemon" not "Edvanton"

(3) - perhaps order the names by surname

Members only working area

(1) - I think this doesn't need explaining, it could just be a link to
"work.html" which is the page itself

(2) - due to recent PAC decisions, *all* work of the committee shall be
open to the general public, therefore, there is no longer a
username/password needed to access the work page.

Thanks again, Carmello!

--
G. Ken Holman                    mailto:gkholman@CraneSoftwrights.com
Crane Softwrights Ltd.             http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/m/