Subject: Re: web site content

----- Original Message -----
From: "G. Ken Holman" <gkholman@CraneSoftwrights.com>
To: <xslt-conformance@lists.oasis-open.org>
Sent: Tuesday, July 04, 2000 3:46 PM

> At 00/06/28 16:20 -0400, Carmelo Montanez wrote:
> >     One of the assignments from the June 5 meeting was web site content.
> >volunteered to take on that.  Please visit the following web site for
some
> >of my proposed ideas.
>
> Thanks, Carmelo, for putting this together!
>
> General comments:
>
> (1) Because I live in a rural area and have only slow access (24Kbps, or
> 21.6Kbps if it is raining) I surf with graphics turned off, relying on the
> textual content much like a blind person does.  Every image on every page
> is encoded in HTML without the required ALT= attribute; this means I have
> no idea what is supposed to be found in each of the graphics.

> Hovering over the graphics of some pages (e.g. NIST page), I see there are
> some hyperlinks encoded therein.  There should be text-based links
> somewhere on the page for every link hidden in a graphic image (as you
have
> done on the main page).
>
> These suggestions are based on the Web Accessibility Initiative guidelines
> regarding good HTML page design practices, found at http://www.w3.org/WAI/
> ... I think any HTML we post on the web should follow these guidelines.

    Not a problem, will do it as soon as I get more directives from
OASIS.  I am waiting to hear from Scott.

> (2) We were given the layout and appearance of committee pages by OASIS
> perhaps this content that has been developed can be squeezed into the
> stylesheets given to us.  I'm not sure how tight OASIS will ask us to keep
> to this old format (the same one used for XML conformance), but I don't
> think we should vary too much away from it.  Much like other documentation
> projects, we've been given a format, all we need develop is the
> content.  Download the existing index.html file and the associated
> committee.css file referenced by the metadata tag to see what is there
> now.  I, personally, don't like what we've been given by OASIS looks like,
> but that is what I was given to use.

        Not a problem.  I gotten in touch with Scott from OASIS and
asked for advice.  Hopefully will hear from him soon.

> XSLT/XPath Conformance Testing
>
> (1) - XML is properly spelled out "Extensible Markup Language" ... this
has
> repeatedly been emphasized by Jon Bosak in his own presentations ... the
> use of "eXtensible" is *not* according to the W3C practices

    Done!!

> (2) - the first paragraph refers to XSL instead of XSLT
>
> (3) - perhaps change "a subset of the original XML document" to be "a
> subset of the original XML vocabulary or any other arbitrary XML
vocabulary"

    Done!!

> (4) - there are a number of double spaces that break up the flow of the
> paragraphs

        Fixed!!

> (5) - "Xpath" is properly spelled as "XPath" according to the
Recommendation

        Fixed!!!

> (6) - "on April 2000" should be "in April 2000"
          Fixed!!!

> (7) - I don't think the phone numbers are necessary, but if you want to
> include them, I believe the international representation of North American
> phone numbers is along the lines of +1(613)489-0999 because "1" is the
> international country code for North America.

       Changed!!!!

>   - I would rather we only have a generic address like
> "XSLT-XPath-Conformance@CraneSoftwrights.com" (which I hope we could
change
> to @oasis-open.org ... I have just asked OASIS to set this up for us)
>   - when the FTP depository is established, we can include that address as
well

        Done!!!

> The NIST Test Suite Harness
>
>   - no comments here
>
> Test Suite Taxonomy
>
>   - no comments here ... we can update this when we make decisions;
perhaps
> even include an XML instance of each of the Recommendations with our
> granular ID values for referencing from tests, and a sample stylesheet
> doing the Recommendation Linking  ... this way submitters can test their
> test file references to the Recommendations

        Will send separated discussion!!!

> Documents and suite customization
>
> (1) - would these just be example reports?  I wouldn't want to imply they
> might be the only reports ... some discussion of how they are generated by
> the user would be important

    Yes, there can be many reports.  What I was thinking is to include the
test suite entire reports describing ALL the tests both in XML and
HTML.  I think something similar was done for XML.

> (2) - I like the idea of another page documenting the questions (though
the
> DTD we provide should have detailed documentation as well)

      No a problem.  May be wise to hear from Scott first!!!

> Committee Members
>
> (1) - my surname is "Holman" not "Hollman"
>   - perhaps put the fact that I am the committee chairman on the second
> line, since JR has an academic suffix (I wouldn't want to use the same
> convention for the chair's position)

        Done and my apologies!!!

> (2) - John's surname is "Evdemon" not "Edvanton"

        Done and my apologies to John!!!

> (3) - perhaps order the names by surname

        Done!!!!, should your name remain first since you are the chair?

> Members only working area
>
> (1) - I think this doesn't need explaining, it could just be a link to
> "work.html" which is the page itself

    Sure thing!!!

> (2) - due to recent PAC decisions, *all* work of the committee shall be
> open to the general public, therefore, there is no longer a
> username/password needed to access the work page.

    No problem there!!!!

> Thanks again, Carmelo!

        You welcome!!!