Subject: Moving from Tin Man to Iron Man

I think that the Iron Man edition of the test case catalog design will be
exact enough that Tony and others can design the parts that depend on it.
We didn't nail down everything in today's meeting, but I think we have
something that's parallel to a Candidate Recommendation at the W3C. We can
test Iron Man with experiments in implementation and in design of other
components.

Here's my recap of where we stand on the 11 design questions discussed
today:
1. How to represent element names: "test-case" style chosen. Iron Man will
have it.
2. How to represent the file hierarchy in Title, Identifier, Source: I'll
illustrate the alternatives. Still open.
3. Whether to have categories: We want some; what they are is still open.
4. What limits to impose on "Purpose": No new-lines, length limit pending.
5. How to refer to errata: John E. to supply W3C's normative numbering
scheme. Still open.
6. Having all discretionary items lumped under one <Discretionary> element:
Yes
7. Pool the choices for all discretionary items: Approved
8. GrayArea (er, gray-area) design: Same design as Discretionary. Iron Man
to have more details.
9. Merge standard output and standard error: Yes
10. Specifying how to set external parameters: Still open, but I'll show an
idea in Iron Man.
11. Accommodate operational scenarios that are local to the test lab: Leave
out for now. Still open.

In the interests of continuity for those you visit the list infrequently,
I'll keep the same numbering as these items are discussed in the future.
Expect more mail about items 2, 3, 4, 5, 8, 10, and 11.
.................David Marston