Subject: Re: Think about updates when writing Submission Policy

At 01/07/18 20:54 -0400, David_Marston@lotus.com wrote:
>In "Notes about name management..." I wrote >> and Ken replied >
>
> >>14. If a submitter wants to update their test suite, which could mean
> >>adding, dropping, or changing test cases, how do we want them to
> >>catalog the revision?
>
> >I think this can be deferred.  If we are asked to wholly replace an old
> >submission with a new submission I would not want to do piecemeal
> >fidgeting.  The only savings is not having to review the same test a
> >second time, which we should be able to do with path and file names and
> >the date/time of the test case (part of the tracking information of the
> >review process).
>
>Lotus reserves the right to organize our test suite differently in the
>future.

Of course!

>If you want our future submission to not force a review of tests
>that are unchanged, tell us that review of test cases is burdensome
>work and that you want data that will avoid such work where possible.

If the tests are uniquely defined, and date stamped, there are no problems
for duplicate reviews.  If the tests share the same names and the
directories change, then I think it is incumbent on the committee to check
the new directories.

>Even for the first submission, the Submission Policy should hint at the
>idea that you hope to get future submissions, including repairs to
>individual tests as well as massive expansions, and how you intend to
>detect changed/unchanged in the massive submissions.

Yes, our submissions policy could have a section of "Helpful practices"
advising submitters of how we plan to work with their information, citing
that unique names are useful, but if not available then we will be relying
on the subdirectories.

>Which reminds me: we (Lotus) already use some of Carmelo's test cases
>in our testing. The Submission Policy should also request that we
>filter out tests that we know will be submitted by their creators.

Another good point.

--
G. Ken Holman                      mailto:gkholman@CraneSoftwrights.com
Crane Softwrights Ltd.               http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/m/

Training Blitz: 3-days XSLT/XPath, 2-days XSLFO in Ottawa 2001-10-01/05