Subject: Re: [xslt-conformance] Spreading the Work

Lofton,

I believe you're misreading.

There are two basic statements in the copyright.
The first starts with the words "This document", and it asserts that it
can be copied, redistributed and modified (derived from) as long as the
copyright notice is preserved.

The second starts with the words "However, this document itself", that
is the document on which the copyright is, not a copy of it, not a
translation of it, not a derivation of it, but this document itself,
cannot be modified in any way except in the process of developing an
OASIS specification.

So let's put this in concrete terms. The XSLT-conformance TC puts a draft
of a DTD, let's call it XSLT-conf DTD v1.0, out in the TC's home page.
That DTD has a copyright notice as specified. That DTD can be copied,
translated, etc -- that is you can ftp it to your system, modify it, etc.
as long as you preserve the copyright. But NO ONE can modify the DTD
document that appears on the Web as reached from the TC home page, except
the TC itself in the process of working on it.

IANAL, though, so perhaps you should consult yours ;-)