xspa message

Subject: Q 6& 7 on spreadsheet listing NHIN comments on XSPA

Colleagues

Comment 6 & 7 “Add an attribute “Rule Start Date” and “Rule End Date” to the XSPA XACML profile.”

The suggestion made in the comment would be a significant extension to the authorization model.  Currently neither the SAML nor the XACML XSPA profile communicate policies or policy information.  The profile focuses on the authorizations of the requestor; the policies (organization security policies and consent directives) are provided at each ACS.

I can understand the need to specify the attribute “Rule Start Date” and “Rule End Date” if one is sending policies to a remote ACS policy store but I do not see how it fits into the XSPA attribute information profile.  The information can be specified outside the profile, of coarse.

With this explanation, does anyone still how the addition of the attributes “Rule Start Date” and “Rule End Date” is consistent with the authorization profile?

Regards,

David

David Staggs, JD, CISSP (SAIC)
Veterans Health Administration