Subject: [chairs] OASIS given liaison membership at JTC1 SC34

Chairs:

I have very good news to announce. ISO/IEC JTC1 SC34 has granted OASIS a
Category A Liaison membership in that committee. (See
http://www.y12.doe.gov/sgml/sc34/document/0291.htm for the official
decision.) This means that representatives from OASIS can work with SC34
in doing their technical work, which is document description and
processing languages including SGML, Topic Maps, HyTime, etc.

Ken or James: could you add a few words here about what SC34 is up to
these days?

If your TC would like to work with SC34 please let me know so that I can
coordinate our representation there.

If your TC knows of any other ISO TCs or JTC1 SCs that we could
profitablity liaise with please let me know so that I can work with them
to obtain membership. At the request of the UBL TC we have already made
an application to ISO TC154 for a liaison membership there.

</karl>
Karl F. Best
OASIS - Director, Technical Operations
978.667.5115 x206