Subject: RE: [chairs] OASIS given liaison membership at JTC1 SC34

Darran, Chairs:

Talks with W3C are in the works. Two weeks ago Patrick Gannon and I had
lunch with Tim B-L, Steve Bratt (new W3C COO), and Janet Daly to talk
about how to strengthen the relationship between W3C and OASIS. Tim
invited OASIS to have a representative on the W3C Web Services
Coordinating Committee, which we will do.

They also asked us to identify specific areas where we should try to
increase collaboration. I mentioned specifically the confidentiality
rule, which they said is being adopted by fewer WGs, so should be less
of a problem. I didn't want to talk about their past attitude towards
us, as I could see that this is improving. They now appear to want to
work with us.

I've asked a couple of you chairs individually what you would like to do
to work more closely with your W3C counterparts and what barriers exist
today; I welcome specific suggestions from all of you.

I would appreciate it if each of you could please let me know, for your
TC

- what W3C working group you should be working with
- what relationship you have today (e.g. are you already exchanging
liaisons?)
- what barriers exist today for you working more closely with them

Based on this information I can go back to W3C and make specific
suggestions about how we can work more closely. If you don't respond
then I assume that there is nothing standing in our way to working with
them today.

</karl>
Karl F. Best
OASIS - Director, Technical Operations