Subject: RE: [chairs] OASIS given liaison membership at JTC1 SC34

Ram, Chairs:

> OASIS should also have a policy that ensures there is inter-
> operability within relevant and related technical committees
> of OASIS.

While this is not a MUST in the normative TC Process, I've been treating
it as a SHOULD in the non-normative TC Guidelines. Maybe I can get this
changed. We realized quite some time ago that no one TC can do it all,
and that a lot of time and effort is wasted duplicating the work of
other groups from other organizations. So I've been devoting a lot of
effort the last few months to get relationships established with other
organizations to try to solve this.

We also need to make sure that the various OASIS TCs are working
together. We've set up a joint committee (JC) for the ebXML TCs, and
likely will invite other e-business TCs to join. In the coming months
expect to see some announcements related to our managing TCs as groups,
by topic. None of this will effect the bottom-up member-driven approach;
we will still allow members to set our technical agenda, and TCs will
still control their own charters and agendas, but we want to encourage
TCs to work together, jointly develop architectures, and make sure that
all of our specifications interoperate.

</karl>
Karl F. Best
OASIS - Director, Technical Operations