Subject: DITA Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 16 September 2008

Gershon Joseph
Technical Leader
PDI DocTools

gerjosep@cisco.com
Phone: +972 9 892-7157
Mobile: +972 57 314-1170

Cisco Systems, Inc.

Israel
Cisco home page

Think before you print. Think before you print.
This e-mail may contain confidential and privileged material for the sole use of the intended recipient. Any review, use, distribution or disclosure by others is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient (or authorized to receive for the recipient), please contact the sender by reply e-mail and delete all copies of this message.

Cisco Systems Limited (Company Number: 02558939), is registered in England and Wales with its registered office at 1 Callaghan Square, Cardiff, South Glamorgan CF10 5BT

GIF image

GIF image

DITA Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 16 September 2008

Chaired by Don Day <dond@us.ibm.com>
Minutes recorded by Gershon Joseph <gershon@tech-tav.com>

The DITA Technical Committee met on Tuesday, 16 September 2008 at 08:00am PT for
50 minutes.

1.  Roll call

    We have quorum.

2.  Approve minutes from previous business meeting:
    * http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200809/msg00001.html (2 September 2008)
    * FYI: http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200809/msg00018.html (9 September informal notes)

    Accepted by acclamation.

3.  Subcommittee reports (as needed)

    * OASIS DITA Translation Subcommittee (Sept. 2)
        * Acronym white paper approved by SC; to be submitted for review by TC

            ACTION: Gershon to check with JoAnn how we should move forward on
            this one. Need to provide link to doc for TC to review.

    * OASIS DITA Learning Content Subcommittee (Sept.9)
    * OASIS DITA Machine Industry Subcommittee (Sept. 16)

        Chris asked if anyone in the automotive industry is on the DITA TC,
        they are welcome to join the MI SC.

    * OASIS DITA Semiconductor Information Design Subcommittee (Sept. 23)

        ACTION: Don to contact Bob Beims ahead of next meeting to ask if he has
        anything to report.

    * OASIS DITA for Enterprise Business Documents Subcommittee (Sept. 30)
    * OASIS DITA Help Subcommittee (Oct. 7)
    * OASIS DITA Adoption TC (Oct. 16)

4.  Business:

    1.  ITEM: Clarification of charter
        * http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200809/msg00004.html (McRae)
        * Ballot is approved; need to update TC main page

            ACTION: Don to update the TC home page.

            DECISION: The TC nominated Gershon as the official liaison between
            the DITA Adoption TC and this TC.

    2.  ITEM: Proposed packaging and doctype shells for DITA 1.2 -- ready for approval?
        * Proposed DITA 1.2 doctype shells:
          * http://wiki.oasis-open.org/dita/Draft_list_of_doctype_shells_to_be_included_in_DITA_1.2

            ACTION: TC members to review for final discussion and voting next week.

            CONTINUED.

    3.  ITEM: DITA 1.2 Specification Review Assignments
        * http://wiki.oasis-open.org/dita/Draft_DITA_1.2_Specification_Review_Assignments
        * Note recent updates and comment by Robert on source availability:
          * http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200809/msg00016.html

            CONTINUED.

    4.  ITEM: OASIS hosting of a Web GUI
        * Review progress

            CONTINUED.

    5.  ITEM: TAB review of DITA v1.2 specification
        * http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200809/msg00006.html

            The TC agreed that we should ask the TAB, as well as the DITA Adoption
            TC, to review the spec as soon as it's complete. We won't wait for
            public review state before asking them to review, so as to not delay
            the public review process. We just need to ensure each spec handed
            over for review is complete.

            CLOSED.

    6.  New ITEM: Cascading/Inheritance of default values
        * http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200809/msg00007.html (Robert)

            ACTION: Michael to set up meeting for later this week to discuss. Need
            Robert involved, so it will have to be next week Tuesday. Erik, Jeff,
            Robert and Bruce to be involved. Any other TC member who would like
            to participate in the meeting please send email to Michael.

    7.  New ITEM: Reltable header question
        * http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200809/msg00008.html (Robert)

            ACTION: Robert to apply option 1 as a bug fix.

    8.  New ITEM: proposal for DITA 1.3: same document/same topic DITA reference syntax
        * http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200809/msg00009.html (Ogden and following thread)

            Jeff: The idea is it's convenient to have the same document reference
            syntax. Good discussion on list.

            Don raised concern about backwards compatibility.

            Jeff: No, the only thing that can go after the '#' character is a
            leading '.' character.

            Jeff clarified that the previous notation will still be supported.

            The purpose of this change is for when you want to move a piece of
            XML around via conref or XInclude. This kind of reference without
            this notation forces you to do something else to get the topicID
            correct. This new notation lets you copy/paste between topics
            without breaking links.

            Jeff created a Wiki page to accumulate 1.3 feature requests.

            CLOSED.

    9.  NOTE: latest DITA 1.2 draft uploads:
        * Lang spec ToCJS: http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200809/msg00014.html (10 Sep)
        * Lang spec source: http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200808/msg00002.html (4 Aug)
        * Lang spec CHM: http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200809/msg00015.html (10 Sep)
        * DTDs: http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200808/msg00011.html (11 Aug)
        * XSDs: http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200808/msg00027.html (16 Aug)

5.  Announcements/Opens

            Michael: I realized there are some 1.2 items that were pushed off
            to the next release, so someone should put them on the new 1.3 Wiki
            page to ensure we don't drop them when we transfer from 1.2 to 1.3.
            It was hard to find the "dropped from 1.2 items", but I did manage to
            find them on our old 1.2 page.

            Jeff suggested someone should review the 1.2 list for items that should
            be considered for 1.3.

            ACTION: Don to add this as a formal item on future agendas so that we
            can track our progress.