Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Re: SGML to XML: Should I switch? How to switch?

Hi Neil,

Neil Roeth wrote:
> I've been generating PDF docs on Debian continuously over the last several
> years while I've been maintaining the packages.  I generate TeX using
> OpenJade, then use JadeTeX to create a DVI file, then turn that into PDF with
> dvipdf or into PS with dvips, etc.  I've recently been doing the same under
> Cygwin, so I know that platform works, too, though JadeTeX took a little
> effort to get working there.

Thanks for the tip.  We use a similar chain, but have been using
pdfjadetex to go from .tex files to .pdf files.  We use dvips to get PS
files, but have never tried dvipdf to get PDF files.  It might not have
existed when we originally set this whole thing up (1999), and we never
looked for anything like it once we got pdfjadetex working.  I will
definitely look into it when I turn my attention back to documentation.

> Please let me know what errors you run into when you next try to generate PDF
> on a Debian box.  Or, file a bug using the reportbug package, or on the Debian
> web site, http://bugs.debian.org.  I will get an email as soon as you
> submit it, and I can help you get it working.

I wear quite a few hats here in addition to writing the docs and
maintaining the toolchain, and it has been over a year since I've had
the chance to do much of either.  It will probably be a few months
before I'll be able to focus on this, but you and Laurie have given me
some excellent possibilities to present to the management.  We're always
looking for ways to do it better!

Thanks again,

Bob

--
Bob McIlvride, Communications Manager, Cogent Real-Time Systems Inc.
162 Guelph Street, Suite 253, Georgetown, Ontario L7G 5X7, Canada