Subject: XInclude of part of current document

The XInclude spec seems to allow an href from an xi:include to part of the
current document, by using either an empty href or an absent href in the
xi:include element.  However, it doesn't seem to work.

When I process an internal XInclude reference using xmllint, it reports
"XInclude error : detected a recursion", even though the element being
included (a para) is not recursively including anything.

When I process with Saxon using the XInclude option of Xerces, I get this
error:

"org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: Include operation failed, reverting to
fallback. Resource error reading file as XML (href=''). Reason: An xpointer
was specified that points to a location in the source infoset. This
location cannot be accessed due to the streaming nature of the processor."

Has anyone managed to get this to work?

DocBook Consulting