Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Re: HTML5 version?

On 10/05/2011 05:51 AM, Norman Walsh wrote:
Larry Garfield<larry@garfieldtech.com>  writes:
Hi folks. At the moment I'm using the XHTML version of the DocBook XSL
scripts. That's mostly fine, but I am trying to convert all of my web
work over th HTML5. (Vis, using more semantic tags, reduced-complexity
head elements, fewer extra wrapping divs, assuming that CSS actually
works now so I can use modern selectors for styling, etc.)

Depends how far back you need to go. Unknown elements are rendered
inline and IE (versions prior to 9) can't style unknown elements at
all by default.

There are workarounds[1][2], and I'm sorely tempted to start relying
on them in the HTML output from the DocBook XSLT 2.0 stylesheets, for
which HTML5 is specifically the target.

Great to hear!

If you do, I'd recommend making them an option. The lion's share of my userbase, for instance, is Firefox and Chrome users. I think IE is 4th overall, and I have more Android users than IE 6 and 7 combined. I'd be inclined to just "go modern and screw the older browsers" for that site, although certainly there are other use cases where you'd want to throw in modernizr, html5shiv, or whatever else to support older IE versions. In fact, would it make sense to simply document how to throw one of those in yourself rather than baking it into the script?

--Larry Garfield