Subject: Re: HTML5 version?

Larry Garfield <larry@garfieldtech.com> writes:
> Hi folks. At the moment I'm using the XHTML version of the DocBook XSL
> scripts. That's mostly fine, but I am trying to convert all of my web
> work over th HTML5. (Vis, using more semantic tags, reduced-complexity
> head elements, fewer extra wrapping divs, assuming that CSS actually
> works now so I can use modern selectors for styling, etc.)

Depends how far back you need to go. Unknown elements are rendered
inline and IE (versions prior to 9) can't style unknown elements at
all by default.

There are workarounds[1][2], and I'm sorely tempted to start relying
on them in the HTML output from the DocBook XSLT 2.0 stylesheets, for
which HTML5 is specifically the target.

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

[1] http://html5doctor.com/html-5-reset-stylesheet/