Subject: Re: [docbook] Relax NG, XSD and DTA

On Fri, 2007-02-09 at 12:04 -0600, Chris Chiasson wrote:
> I was looking at the source tree a few months ago; I believe the RNG
> version is generated from a set of RNC files that Norm W. manually
> maintains. From comments on the list, I think other schemas are
> generated automatically from either the RNG or RNC files.

As described in docbook
http://www.docbook.org/schemas website, the only normative schema is the
RNG one. This is due to the fact that,
while an XML Schema could be transformed into an equivalent RelaxNG
schema (excepting W3C XML Schema identity constraints and other object modeling related things) -for example
through the Sun RELAX NG converter at
http://wwws.sun.com/software/xml/developers/relaxngconverter
 -,  a RelaxNG schema couldn't be.

> On 2/9/07, Miller, Ray (Centech) <Ray.Miller@va.gov> wrote:
> > Will I need to address any XSD and DTD deprecation issues?

You could use a different way: NVDL
from: <http://www.oxygenxml.com/onvdl.html>
"NVDL allows specifying sections of XML documents to be validated
against different schemas thus enabling the creation of complex
documents containing multiple languages without the need to modify the
schemas that define each language to take into account the other
languages"

-vito